Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, it is night and I turn on the old Gal. The GEN comes on and, as the car idles back, it dims out. I rev up, the GEN becomes brighter. I let off the gas, it dims. Isn't that ass-backwards? I was expecting it be the other way around.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Sounds like there is a wire crossed somewhere. Like on the regulator or something. But it could be that it's getting brighter because it is charging less at higher RPMs. Have you put a multimeter or something to check how much it's charging at low and high RPMs?
Either that or wiggle the wiring harness around near where it goes to the generator and see if you might have a bad connection so that more RPM there is more current to actually make it bright.

Deb

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Your Regulator is stuck. Fix it by cleaning the points or replacing it SOON.

FE

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm. Replaced it last year. Bad?

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
Agreed, sounds like it could be the reg.
If it's one of the old style, take the cover off, and see what the contacts are doing when it's running.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: danv on 9/7/06 8:03pm ]</font>

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Old style? It is one that attaches to the fender well next to the battery.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Probably a short in it, or possible a wire bared somewhere between the reg and the alt. Look closely, very closely.
Then replace it...

FE

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got one o' those

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
You are on a roll now, you know the mechanic's secret tool.

If you still have points and all then you still have the "old style" voltage regulator and not one built in or attached to an alternator or I think for electronic ignition there is a dif regulator. Not positive on that as I still have old style everything under the hood except the colors.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did put in an electronic ignition package in the distributor.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Still need to replace or repair the regulator...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FALCONAROUND on 9/8/06 4:08am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
On 2006-09-07 06:08, pasvorto wrote:
Old style? It is one that attaches to the fender well next to the battery.

Yeah, old style had contacts, and you can take the cover off.
Newer ones ones are sealed.

If It was me, I'd be off to the nearest auto electrician by now.

._________________
Please visit my website at: www.xr8ute.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: danv on 9/8/06 12:50pm ]</font>

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Small town, nothing like that here.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
No parts stores around? Now that's real isolation! 20 miles to our closest.
I don't remember ever trying it but couldn't a person maybe file those little contacts in the regulator? They remind me of points. When my reg went it was that resistor or whatever it's called wire that's under it with the fiberous like casing. It fried or broke in half.
Didn't have any indications recent anyway to tell me it was going but there was a time a couple years ago that tapping on it with a hammer "fixed" it. After the new one was in though wow what a difference in my headlights. That thing had probably been going out for years.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I replaced it (the voltage regulator) last year. I have parts stores here, but no "auto electric" shops (that I'm aware of).

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
That's right, forgot you had already changed that. Sometimes they can go bad in a short time. Maybe remove it and see that none of the contacts are stuck? I seem to get stuck changing water pumps every 2 yrs and starters about the same. So who knows on the regulators. I'd try moving some wires around and see if it goes out. I had that problem a couple years ago. After a different generator and already had the new reg that was only a couple months old the light would still come on sometimes. Ended up being a bad connection on one of the wires that caused it to come on til i hit the right bump in the road.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will take a gander at the wiring this weekend. I would like to take it to the drag strip, but not if I have to run on the battery.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
Wont they give warranty on the reg you bought last year?
For the sake of 20 or 30 bucks, I'd get a new one, if you can't get warranty, and start eliminating the possibilities. Maybe borrow one?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: danv on 9/9/06 9:42pm ]</font>

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I need to get under the hood again. However, my "honey do" list is taken up most of my time currently.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts