Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking this Mustang Generator apart to restore it and swap pulley's with the one I got form Colkerr, but the sunuvabiach is kicking my ass....

I used HEAT, I used an air hammer, I used MORE heat and a hammer in 17 different directions I even used a clever 4 lb slide hammer and it's NOT budging...

I'm likely going to have to build a Press and a pulley clamp, but just in case, if there are any other suggestions please toss them out.

I MUST preserve both pulley's and the bodies of the generators.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Not being a smart a$$... :) ... but it is right hand thread, right?

I would soak it, put heat to it and take a good impact to it.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Sounds like the bolt is out already.

I 2nd the soaking and heat.

FE, maybe try Hoppes 9 Solvent? Some Old Timers from Eastern Airlines showed us that while at NWA. Works great!

Jet

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm using GIBBS oil, and it's soaked all to hell and back.

The NUT is off tard :) Were too being a smart arse :)

The pulley shaft is KEYED, but it might also be tapered, but nothing budged it, and I MUST preserve the pulley!

Any more suggestions? OR just go to someones shop and use a press with a choke collar?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
:confused:

Are you saying the shaft (armature) is keyed and the key is what you are trying to remove?

If key, is the pulley still on or off?

This will take the pulley off-

...or...

If you can't get behind the pulley, a collet type puller. Does the pulley have a pulling collet where you can grab it?

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was going to use one of those... But...

I don't have one in my illustrious shop...

There's no provision to use a modern PS pulley like Ford and Chevy use.

I'm going to run to the local harbor freight type store and get one of the above tools and press it off.

Here's a pic of the generator. I have new bearings and brushes coming for it. The OEM one I have still has Fords C2AE stamp on it and it's a 15 volt 30 amp capacity. I need to reproduce that Ford stamp also.... (eeek!)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Good Luck with it. Just watch that the pulley does not try and distort while pulling (I assume you are going to grab it on the belt sheath- not enough room to get between pulley and fan).

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The pulley IS the fan
Go to show how long I have been around a generator... :frown:

When I started (right after horse and buggies were replaced), the mech had to rebuild most everything on the bench. Very little reman.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Go to show how long I have been around a generator... :frown:

When I started (right after horse and buggies were replaced), the mech had to rebuild most everything on the bench. Very little reman.
so trure back in the day . made me think, if said to someone flash the field today -- what they'd do . lol when think of what possible

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
dont forget to turn and undercut the commentator-cut the mica back about 1/16th inch

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
FE,

A lot of those stampings are available repro in decal form.

Dennis Carpenter is a possible one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts