Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being without power for a few days I am thinking of acquiring a generator. Actually, I've been planning on picking up a 1K unit for the Falcon as I don't have a charging system on it. Running an Optima Yellow.

Now I think something in the 2K - 4K may actually be a better investment, for those occasional times when I need power for a few key appliances.

I've looked at the Hondas and hear they are about the quietest, but they are also very spendy.

I'd like to get out of this purchase for under $600.00 but really don't know that much about them and if this is realistic.

Most of the usage will be at the track and not campgrounds as I hate camping. (Why work 50 weeks a year making money to spend 2 weeks acting like I don't have any? My time-share in Kona suits me fine.)

Anyway, what are you using, how much did it cost, where'd you buy it, and what accessories should you have bought upfront?

Thanks

Murff

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
You've already limited yourself to a cheapie generator...at the level you want to spend. I was in this boat a while back.....bought a 3500 craftsman used for $13 from a guy at work (he owed $13 to get it out of the shop...I just paid his bill & he let me have it). been a good generator and I put about 400 hrs a year on it for 2 years. It's finally worn to the point where it's no longer feasible to pour money into it. I bought a EF2800i Yamaha (we're a yamaha dealer where I work) and I absolutely LOVE it. Yes, it was expensive. Around $1100, IIRC. But man, is it a great generator. Only weighs around 60 lbs, pretty quiet (around 60 db) and it runs an honest 15 hours pulling 1200 watts continuous. I fill it in the morning, it runs all day and then some. I've also used it on bow fishing tournaments in the boat. We pulled a continuous 2700 watts from it for 8 hours straight and I only filled the tank because I didn't want to have to do it in the dark. I believe it would have gone the full 8 hours without refilling. AFter the tournament, I just picked it up out of the boat, put it into the back of my truck, and home I went. The light weight was a big selling point for me. Even my father can pick it up easily. Honda and Yamaha are the 2 leaders in generators. The rest just drool, IMO. The only complaint I've had out of my 2800 is that the spark arrestor clogs easily, but I run a bottle of Yamaha "ringfree" through it once in a while and it keeps it clean. yamaha must've known that was going to be a problem because the arrestor screen comes out easily. I might just take mine out completely & see if it's any louder.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info, didn't even know Yamaha made generators. The fact that I still need to buy new slicks, helmet, trailer, and I'm sure a bunch of little stuff I haven't yet thought about to get on the track in spring is what is going to set my budget on this and I think you're correct, that's going to make it a little tough. I really don't want to cheap out but I just don't think I'm going to be able to spend over a grand on a generator.

I may end up having to lower my sights a bit, back to a 1K unit just to run my battery charger and wait until I can free up more dough for a larger one.

Not discounting your reply but I still want to hear what others have done.

Thanks

Murff

·
Registered
129 Posts
Murff,

After 5 days without power in January 2005 I purchased a Sears 5.6KW generator and rewired my house to install a generator isolation circuit.

Now when the power goes off, I just wheel out the generator, plug in the jumper wire into a receptacle on the side of the house, flip a few breakers in a separate sub panel and I'm back on line.

My generator powers the furnace, water pump, sump pump, sever lift, refrigerator and freezer. I just use breaker management to select what needs power and when I need it.

On a side note, I left Seattle on Tuesday afternoon for home. I arrived this morning. Drove 1965 miles in 5.5 days. Sounds like I got out of Seattle just in time.

JO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts