Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, So I finally got my hands on a clean low mile 63 4 door 260 Fairlane. Well, I don't have my hands on her yet but I put the deposit and will get it this week. 75,000 original miles and he says the plastic is still on the back seat as if nobody ever sat there. Just ordering a gas tank for it since the stocker is sludged up.

I'm going to order the Rod and Custom 106 MII kit for the car (not interested in coil overs) to replace the entire front end and make room for the 351/AOD setup I am building for it. Anyone see any reasons not to go with R&C? I've only heard good about them.

I'm going to go with the old perfect standby TT2.1's in 17x7 with 225/45/17's all around. Anyone see any rubbing or fitment issues with these? I'm planning on lowering the car so the front rim tops are level with the fender bottom(tucking the tire almost completely.

Really anxious to get it all and get started. I finally made a sale and have the cash so I'm getting it done. I do feel bad for leaving my 63 4 door Gal and my 63.5 Fastback Gal sit at the farm but I am getting a deal on this car.

Pics will follow as soon as I get my hands on the car.

Thanks for any insight or constructive criticism.

Dave

·
Registered
47 Posts
That sounds awesome! Those wheels and tires should fit fine. I have 17x8 Bullitt wheels on my 63 four door, and I've tried a couple different sizes, but the 225/45 is what I have now and it's a perfect fit. Any bigger and they would rub, but they're not so small that it looks funny. Perfect size and looks.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn. You had to say you have 8's on it. I've been wanting to know if the 8's would fit and if I should go that route. What's the back spacing on them? Do you have any pics? I'm hoping to have more room with the suspension in the front and I think I'll be opening up the rear a bit later on for air bag suspension and an 8.8 or 9" winter of 2013.

I'd love to have the rubber on the road to know the car will handle it and not break loose so easily. It's not going to be a drag car but I plan to have some good usable power to play with when I want.

Thanks bud.

Dave

Ug, just saw your sig. I'll check pics when I get home.

·
Registered
47 Posts
They are the factory wheels off my 04 GT, they have a 5.75 backspacing and I have to use 1" spacers on the front and a 1/4 spacer in back. They are still tight in there but don't rub. The inside of my front wheel is about 1/4" from the control arm.

Here's my progress thread with pics:
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/fairlane-pages/508148-update-my-63-fairlane-lots-pics-info.html

Damn. You had to say you have 8's on it. I've been wanting to know if the 8's would fit and if I should go that route. What's the back spacing on them? Do you have any pics? I'm hoping to have more room with the suspension in the front and I think I'll be opening up the rear a bit later on for air bag suspension and an 8.8 or 9" winter of 2013.

I'd love to have the rubber on the road to know the car will handle it and not break loose so easily. It's not going to be a drag car but I plan to have some good usable power to play with when I want.

Thanks bud.

Dave

Ug, just saw your sig. I'll check pics when I get home.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seen your thread and was watching it. I have heard about the spacers you have to get for those wheels to fit but I didn't want to do that. I have to get wheels anyways so I might as well get the ones I want. Just need the right size and I'd love to fit an 8" wide with a 245 or so under the rear. I'm going to order all 4 16X7 now with 4" back space. Then I'll get the front tires in a 205/50R16 and see what t does on the rear. If I feel I have the room, I'll go with a 225/45R16 which will only be around 3/4" wider and taller roughly.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm ready to start tearing into the car and have some time before the MII setup gets here. Their FAQ states the kits come with all measurements but I don't know if that means, their measurements are off existing points on the car after all the crap is removed or if they need wheel position and other measurements. I'd love to use the next two free days to get everything out. Does anyone here know if I need the front together or do they take measurements from given points on the car with the old stuff removed. Of course they're not open on the weekend but I did try with no luck. I don't think I'll get another shot at 2 full days of work. I want to level it on stands and get to it!

Thanks
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts