Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new here and this is my first time posting so bare with me. I have a fresh rebuilt 1990 351w for my 91 fox body that didnt really cost me much. I'm looking to build somthing that sounds great and also maximizes my torque and hp with what I have without overdoing it. Just want a nice motor that is reliable but can go when i need it too. My next purchases would be a cam, heads and a intake. I already have a Holley 650 dp to top it off with MSD ignition box and pro billet distributor.. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
477 Posts
OK I'll be first. Heads, alum with about 1.9 int and 1.6 exh. Anything bigger and port size is to big to get good flow for low end TQ. 650 is about as big as I'd go with any manifold. Hood clearence will decide your intake manf for you unless you have a hood scoop. Edelbrock Pref is good to 5500 and on the street rarely do you twist is more then that. Fits under stock hoods easier too. RPM and Weiand Stealth or both good also. Cams can be tricky. You didn't say if stick or auto trans. Makes a difference on cams and how much you can put to a stock convertor. something around .430" max lift and [email protected] dur is about max with a stock convertor. Might want to change out the gears to around 3.50s with a posi installed. Headers, I like long tube due to better low end TQ, but shorties are good also. Just not the factory ones. 2" pipes is about all you'll need. Get a good alum rad as big as will fit. Summit has some nice 2 and 3 row ones that work well. HP makes heat and a stock rad won't work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK I'll be first. Heads, alum with about 1.9 int and 1.6 exh. Anything bigger and port size is to big to get good flow for low end TQ. 650 is about as big as I'd go with any manifold. Hood clearence will decide your intake manf for you unless you have a hood scoop. Edelbrock Pref is good to 5500 and on the street rarely do you twist is more then that. Fits under stock hoods easier too. RPM and Weiand Stealth or both good also. Cams can be tricky. You didn't say if stick or auto trans. Makes a difference on cams and how much you can put to a stock convertor. something around .430" max lift and [email protected] dur is about max with a stock convertor. Might want to change out the gears to around 3.50s with a posi installed. Headers, I like long tube due to better low end TQ, but shorties are good also. Just not the factory ones. 2" pipes is about all you'll need. Get a good alum rad as big as will fit. Summit has some nice 2 and 3 row ones that work well. HP makes heat and a stock rad won't work.
Thank you for your response! I do have significant hood clearence. Also, I have a newer Ford racing t5 super duty with 4.11s in the rear-end already. As far as the radiator, that is exactly what I have already, summit 3 row alum. Sounds like I'm on the right track! Your advice is much appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts