Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Soon to be former Galaxie club of America here. We picked up our 1963 Galaxie 500 convertable late last spring. I was so excited to finally own a Galaxie the first thing I did was join the Galaxie club. I tried several times to get into the members forum to start learning about our Galaxie. Unfourtunatly it kept saying I had to be approved! So after a handful of tries I finally gave up. I've been surfing around here and you guys are awesome very helpful. I' glad I found ya!
So far I've fixed 5 of 8 leaks. New oil pan gasket, new power steering pump hoses and lines, rear end, rear main, and entire cooling system. Got a guy thats gonna replace the freeze/expansion/water plugs the right way thanks to you guys! Then it's on to intake manifold gasket. Any advise on that would be appreciated! Then I need to fix an exhaust leak. I've read a bunch of threads on headers and learned a lot. But what shorty header would be the best fit? I've got 390 with pwr steering manual brakes auto trans. Powermaster starter.
Thanks in advance! Randy Charleston SC

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Great looking Galaxie you got there! Awesome fine truck! Beautiful house! Who's that on the front porch...?

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
welcome onboard....
nice ride...:)

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Welcome to the party! I agree with the listening part.

Tommy

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all!
I"m into the listening thing as well. I've already learned a ton from you guys!
Yeah I like to call it the annual humidity festival!
Found the truck in Florida. Drove it home that day. Found the Galaxie just north of Nashville. Drove it home the next day.
After searching as much of the threads as I could I think I'm gonna go with the Sanderson headers.
Never pulled off a intake manifold before. Anything to watch out for?
Thanks again all!!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Thanks all!
I"m into the listening thing as well. I've already learned a ton from you guys!
Yeah I like to call it the annual humidity festival!
Found the truck in Florida. Drove it home that day. Found the Galaxie just north of Nashville. Drove it home the next day.
After searching as much of the threads as I could I think I'm gonna go with the Sanderson headers.
Thanks again all!!
If it a cast iron one , watch your FINGERS and LOWER BACK . Them mofos are heavy. Keep an eye on where you pull the bolts from. They is some long and some short ones.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The 390 is an FE engine, so there is a little more involved than other engines. You will need to pull your valve covers off, remove rockers so you can then remove pushrods since they run through the intake. Keep track of which hole they came out of so you can put them back in the same spot. Unbolt intake and remove. If you are removing the intake with the engine in the car, be ready to break your back as the stock intake is one heavy piece.

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts
I got a thought, do you have an engine hoist? Best thing in the world for those heavy intakes. :) But i don't suggest going out and buying one for that purpose, would be overkill. I saw a picture somewhere of someone with a ladder on each side of the car and a 4x4 board over the engine bay between the two ladders. Had some setup to raise the intake then pushed the car back after it was high enough to clear the grill. Now maybe it sounds ridiculous but i thought it was a great idea. lol

Thinking they are around 80lbs give or take 10. Don't sound like a lot til you're bent over a car trying to lift one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The intake is a performer 390. This may sound stupid, but do I still need to remove push rods and rockers? This is pretty ambitious for me! I haven't found anyone around here yet that I'm confidant with to work on her! Thx

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
The 390 is an FE engine, so there is a little more involved than other engines. You will need to pull your valve covers off, remove rockers so you can then remove pushrods since they run through the intake. Keep track of which hole they came out of so you can put them back in the same spot. Unbolt intake and remove. If you are removing the intake with the engine in the car, be ready to break your back as the stock intake is one heavy piece.
Keep track of which rocker goes on which side and which shaft the long bolt came out of.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
The intake is a performer 390. This may sound stupid, but do I still need to remove push rods and rockers? This is pretty ambitious for me! I haven't found anyone around here yet that I'm confidant with to work on her! Thx
Yes, even with an aluminum intake, the push rods still go through it and must be removed prior to taking it off the engine.

A good idea to use a flat piece of cardboard and put holes in it as you label and insert the push rods into it - helps keep track of what came from where. Cylinder numbers should be cast into you intake runners near the head. Keep in mind there are 2 rods for each cylinder due to intake and exhaust per cylinder,

An old mechanic taught me that the one thing you cannot do enough of during engine work is make notations and diagrams or use a cardboard template. It really helps to keep track of where everything came from and goes back to.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Why are you guy's telling him to keep the push rods indexed to the hole they came out of? I almost never do that on an FE unless it uses solid lifters and /or adjustable rockers then length makes a difference otherwise what difference does it make? Lifters make a difference but Push rods? What am I missing here?

Scott...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Why are you guy's telling him to keep the push rods indexed to the hole they came out of? I almost never do that on an FE unless it uses solid lifters and /or adjustable rockers then length makes a difference otherwise what difference does it make? Lifters make a difference but Push rods? What am I missing here?
Scott...
Unique individual wear patterns between the individual push rod ends and the corresponding lifters/rockers.

·
Registered
695 Posts

Scott...
I agree with agggilli on this. Another reason that I do it is if you don't know the history of the engine, then you don't know for sure if all the pushrods are the same length. Without breaking out the mics and measuring everything, you can't be sure. It is just a habit of mine to put everything back in the same hole it came out of to avoid any problems.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts