Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
Is the GM - F - Body better constructed than a Ford Cougar 428 CJ ? A friend is unhappy over his Coucar 428.
Bad sparks plugs change, C6 automatic bad Oil line connection points. Power steering controll valve bad connection points and moore ...
428 engine it is all very narrow.
Where is the GM-F Body bad ?

Willy

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Are you seriously asking if a poorly maintained 1960-something car is better constructed than a 2000-something car?

Or are you asking if people in a Ford Muscle forum would rather drive a nice, well restored Cobra Jet or a new GM?

Question reminds me of a friend that kept changing pool sticks when he missed a shot, seems like no matter where he shot pool, all the sticks made him miss.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
On 2006-07-30 15:25, condor4 wrote:
I mine Pontic Firebird bulid about 73-78 .
Huh..Yes the Cj cougar is junk.That massive engine is just too hard to work on..I'll take it off your hands for for a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
What kind of stupid question is this? your on a freakin ford forum....... Down with GM..... Crush the General !!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What kind of stupid question is this? NO stupid !
I have myselv a Ford Car over 20 years a Mustang 1969 Convertible 302. I `m happy with my car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
On 2006-07-30 15:01, condor4 wrote:
Hello
Is the GM - F - Body better constructed than a Ford Cougar 428 CJ ?

sparkBad s plugs change, C6 automatic bad Oil line connection points. Power steering controll valve bad connection points and moore ...
428 engine it is all very narrow.

Willy
Sounds like your "friend" has "better constructed" and "better engineered" mixed up. Comparing room in a shock tower car vs. one with a completely different suspension is apples to oranges.

Odd that someone would buy a car like a 428CJ Cougar and b*tch about difficult plug changes. I'd smile with every bleedin' knuckle. Damn an F-body.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
On 2006-07-30 15:01, condor4 wrote:
Where is the GM-F Body bad ?

Willy
Try to put a set of Hooker headers on one and try to see anything out of the rear window other than the rear spoiler. And don't even get me started on those damn 12" thick doors

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1 Bad 88 GT on 7/31/06 11:15am ]</font>

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Actually they both have their strong and weak points. Engine size is a big factor on a car's handling and ease of working on it. If I owned a Boss 429 Stang and putting headers on sucked, would I get rid of it, NO. Is changing is timing cover gasket on a Chevy a suck job also yes. All depends on your style and taste. I could find great cars built by all 3 manufactures and I could find some real pieces of s%&t.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well, I'm not a die hard any "make" guy. I like all classic cars regardless of who makes them. Everyone has their favorites. I agree with cjjtulsa. You are comparing apples and oranges. Muscle cars from the big 3 each had their good and bad points. If your friend wants to own a classic muscle car he must be willing to:

A - Accept driving a car with old out dated technology.
OR
B - Be willing to spend the time and money to update and upgrade your car to modern technology. ie: disc brakes, and Mustang II suspension kit, etc.

I'm working on a 64 Falcon right now. I hate the fact that Ford never painted or rust proofed the cowl. The gas tank IS the floor of the trunk, and so on. But I knew these issues when I bought a 42 year old car. It just sounds like your friend didn't know what he was getting into with the Cougar.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I think many of us have an appreciation for special cars of any make, especially if they are rare, powerful or unique in some way.

Maybe thats why we frequent more than one forum, user group or engine forum. All things in proper order and suitable to the Group Topic ...if my interest was in how to Barbaque a slab of ribs, I doubt if my thoughts would run toward visiting a Vegetarian web site for a tasty recipe of meat sauce.

I agree with an occasional discussion on off brands, its most interesting that its usually GM-minded questions that comeup. Notable that the subject starts off with a "which is better" or us vs. them scenerio?

There are many ways to ask a question..."which is better -" or "why didn't Ford ?" ... is the basis for an argument, not a real foundation for a legitimate question. Kinda along the line of "Do you still beat your ...wife, kids or still kick your dog".

I still say its more along the lines of provacation than a search for information. We don't live in a vacuum of Ford only topics, but that doesn't mean we should be entertainment for each and every "crap stirrer" that has a full latrine bucket and a 5 gallon can of diesel to waste.

Its not impolite to ask a guest what are his intentions when leans over the punch bowl, looking like he is about to puke... after all, aren't we all just trying to have a good time? Letting one person relieve himself, inappropriately, at the expense of everyone else is way past being understanding. There are all kinds of web sites out there today; general subject forums, Ford theme forums, Pontiac, Chevy, pickup truck, fire truck, ambulance ... etc, if you only like Ferrari Red Yugo's - there is probably a web site somewhere that can scratch your itch. Just Pick your poison and go for it!

However, when the sign over the door says Doughnut shop or Computer store or City Hall, most adults get the message, don't they? The message is usually pretty consistant with the subject. Seems likely the sign was put up for a reason...don't it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 7/31/06 10:01pm ]</font>

·
Registered
777 Posts
If it's a new F body, it will make working on that cougar not seem so bad. Try putting headers on one, then better yet, try changing the plugs afterwords. If you dont have access to a lift, you have to lay on your back to get to the rear plugs. To do a head and cam swap, it is better to drop the cradle/motor out the bottom of the car then try and lean over the fender and reach up under that dam*ed cowl and tear your arm/hands up on all those stupid little sharp plastic pins they use to hold everything together. It may be a little more work doing it that way, but it actually takes less time than trying to do the job with the motor in the car.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Oh yeah, if you buy a newer F-Body you might want to check the plugs, I know a lot of people who dont mess with the rear ones, ever! On which is better, personal preference. I would much prefer the older 428CJ Cougar. It has a freaking CJ! Now if you compared an old F-body to a new one, hands down the old one. Especially if it had something like a 396 or a 427. Thing is, I like fords and mopars way more than cars from the general. Thats my preference. Its not a better than deal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts