Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck will be getting dynoed at Auto Fest in New Ulm on Sunday. Last fall when I had it dynoed, it made 329.1 RWHP @ 6500 and 299.1 RWTQ @ 5300 rpms. My hp curve flattened out from about 6200-6800 and the dyno operator thought that I was having valvetrain issues or fuel problems. So I've upgraded a few things over the winter.

-Sherman hyd roller lifters that only allow 0.025" plunger travel so they act like a solid.
-1/2" fuel line from tank to carb with a 3/8" return system, Aeromotive S/S pump, (old system was 5/16" line through a Mr. Gasket mechanical pump.)
-Aeromotive 37 GPM Electric waterpump
-More efficient JPT 9.5" torque converter.
-Underdrive pullies
-1" Wilsons tapered spacer
-X-pipe

What do you guys think these upgrades will yield for gains?

Here is the combo for those that aren't famaliar with it:

Engine: 357 Cleveland with 10.8:1 compression TRW/Speed-Pro forged flat-top pistons w/Speed-Pro plasma-moly rings. Connecting rods are reconditioned w/ARP wave-loc bolts and the whole rotating assembly was fully balanced. Heads are D0AE-N closed chamber 4v's that have extensive port work in the bowl and short turn area. The rest of the port received the normal clean up work, Parker Port Stuffers were installed in the intake ports, and the exhaust ports were also polished. The rocker pedestals were machined to accept ARP 7/16" screw in rocker studs. Valves are 2.19" Manley Race Master intakes, 1.71" Manley Race Master exhausts, bronze valve guides, 8.050" Manley 3/8" pushrods, Crower Stainless 1.73:1 roller rockers, Jomar Pro-Series stud girdle, Crower dual springs w/dampner that have 173# on the seat and 470# open, and Comp titanium 10 degree retainers and locks. Custom MME Roller cam with 285/287 advertised, 242/244 @0.050, and 0.640" lift on both sides. Sherman Racing modified hyd roller lifters that only have 0.025" of plunger travel. Funnelweb 4v Single Plane intake, Wilson 1" 4 hole tapered spacer atop a 5 degree angled Wison spacer that is matched to the cloverleaf top of the Funnelweb, Holley 750HP main body matched to an 850 BG Idle-Eze baseplate that flows about 920cfm. Carb also has Quick Fuel Technology metering blocks and fuel bowls and the whole carb was tweaked by Alex @ MoneyMaker Racing. Rear sump in gas tank feeds 1/2" fuel line up a Russell fuel filter, an Aeromotive SS 150+ electric fuel pump into a Mallory return regulator with a 5/16" return line. Autolite AR25 spark plugs. MSD 8577 Pro-Billet magnetic distributor, MSD Digital 6 Plus ignition box, MSD HVC 8261 coil, and Moroso Ultra-40 plug wires. Nickel Plated and custom flanged Hooker Super Comp Headers with 1 3/4" primaries, 34" long, 3" collectors hooked up to a Dr. Gas "X" pipe that goes into dual 3" mandrel bent pipe up to 3" Borla XR-1 Sportsman mufflers with mandrel bent tailpipes. 4 row Northern radiator and an Aerospace 37 GPM electric waterpump.

Drivetrain: "Full Roller" C6 Trans with extra clutches, Broader Performance Stage 5 shift kit, and a Sonnax "R" code servo. The torque converter is a custom built JPT 9.5" 4200 rpm unit. Gear Vendors Overdrive, 1350 Spicer U-Joints w/ a custom length F-350 driveshaft, 9" rear with 4.86 gears, Detroit Locker, and 31 spline axles. Custom set of Cal Trac traction bars with Rancho RS9000X shocks and clamped leaf springs in rear.

Thanks for any guesses.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well, given just the fuel mod, you shouldn't gain anything down low, but up top it could be a big difference.

With the spacer and converter, you might have a little steeper curve, with a little more on the top end from the spacer. X-pipe will give you gains throughout the curve, as will the underdrives, provided it doesn't run hotter.

I'd say you average a gain of 10-20HP across the board, and a little more torque, and on top you gain maybe 25 from the other stuff, and who knows how much from the fuel pump. The line was definitely too small for your power.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thekingofazle on 6/24/06 6:41am ]</font>

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On 2006-06-23 15:40, thekingofazle wrote:
as will the underdrives, provided it doesn't run hotter.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thekingofazle on 6/24/06 6:41am ]</font>
Thanks for the advice. But, I did put an electric waterpump on so the pullies have no effect on water transfer anymore. And oh yeah, it used to run about 190-200 degrees. Now with the electric pump and 160 degree thermostat, it runs about 160-170 degrees.

·
Registered
991 Posts
im0 something is amiss with that motor, barely making more than 1hp per inch. Seems like a very healthy build, just cant pinpoint yet why the numbers dont live up to what I think it should be making.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On 2006-06-23 20:00, woody1 wrote:
im0 something is amiss with that motor, barely making more than 1hp per inch. Seems like a very healthy build, just cant pinpoint yet why the numbers dont live up to what I think it should be making.
Woody, when I had it dynoed last fall, we did a spin down test after the last pull and his dyno showed that my engine is makin 430hp at the flywheel PLUS whatever the torque converter is eating up. So between the tires, rear end, u-joints, Gear Vendors, and c6, it was eating 100hp. He was guessing that the engine is makin 475+hp at the crank. I guess I didn't think that was too bad for a 357 inch Cleveland that is streetable.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: f100cleveland on 6/24/06 11:36am ]</font>

·
Registered
991 Posts
that c6 is prolly accounting for what i think is missing, gotta be an easy 50-60 hp over a c4

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Converter and fuel line should make an improvement. You should be in or around the mid 400s at the wheels with your combo. Should be around 550 or so at the crank. Maybe more but one little mismatch or detail that is left out can make or break the combo. I think there is a bit more power to be found campared to your last dyno outing. Hopefully you find it this time. 5/16 fuel line isn't big enough and the wrong or cheap converter can eat up all kinds of power that should be making it to the wheels. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I realize this is after the fact but you would benefit alot from a built AOD instead of the C6-Gear Vendors combo.

With less cam, intake and head work I am putting down 360rwhp with a more efficient T5 and 8.8".

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it is an improvement, but if I would've had time to rejet, it would've been A LOT better. It made 336.6 RWHP @ 6800-7000 and 358.2 RWTQ @ 4200. BUT, I was super lean. From 4000-4500 it was about 14:1, 4500-5000 14.5:1, 5000-7000 15:1 and then up to 7500 it was just under 16:1. The dyno operator was guessing another 15-20 hp with the proper jetting. So I guess its ok. The guy after me was complaining that the numbers were low cuz he lost 30 hp at the wheels compared to his previous run on the dyno. So it might've been the weather or dyno? But I improved 59 ft lbs of torque over my last run, so that is worth it. The dyno guy just smirked when he asked what tranny was in it, I said c6 and he was like you'd gain a few if you'd switch.

But, I found out that the fuel system is up to par, the lifters are workin a lot better and doesn't flatten out on the top.

1 Bad 88 GT- I realize what you're sayin. The dyno operator said I could be real close to 400 at the wheels with even a c4. But, if I was to do it over, it WOULD have a c4.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: f100cleveland on 6/26/06 12:46pm ]</font>

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Your torque #'s are real good. Just richen it up and your right where it should be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts