Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to finish the front of my 67 galaxie and am having a hard time finding a place that sells the body fasteners. One of the hardest ones is a J nut that connects the frame to the bumper support. It is a 1/2 course thread. A couple of these fasteners would not come off without a fight. I thought I won when I got them off but now I think they might have won since I can not find replacements. If anyone knows another car that I can reference (like a falcon) I would be happy to look at those options. Please help.

·
Registered
217 Posts
FWIW, my '70 Merc uses the same big-ass J-nuts you are looking for....probably used til '73 when the new, ugly bumpers were mandated. MIGHT be lots of cars out there in junk yards you could ravage, though I doubt those old hardware pieces will be much better than your old ones.

·
Premium Member
5,909 Posts
you could try this guy fromn the FE forum:

"I'm making sets of J nuts for the front end of Ford Galaxies 1965-68. Let meknow if you are interesting in buying them.
Ed Jenkins
Ford Galaxie Club of America member #3350"

I made my own with a piece of 3/4" flat iron from the hardware store trimmed with a cutoff wheel and a nut JB-welded on. Use a pliers to make the "J." Not gonna win in Concours, though.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
puttster- great idea! all i gotta do is get it tight. I have tried very hard to find replacement stuff as close to original as possible. This will allow me to get things back together and safe for the time being.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ram- i will check out the measurement and see if they will work. Thought about salvage yards but probably not worth the time. AMK has tons of kits but no cross references for Galaxie. thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow the lowest tech i have ever seen! however, i believe 403 looks to be the right one. I will give them a call. I have been looking for this nut for months. thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,909 Posts
Hey, good find. I wonder how long it took to assemble that collection?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts