Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, thank god that cam fiasco is behind me

Car is running great and very strong.... with no noticable sounds other than the sweet-sound of solid lifters!
So, here is what I changed from last years [email protected] 1.68-60ft effort:

1. 270H to a Comp solid cam (536 int/545 exh and 236/242 duration)
2. Stock dizzy w/pertronix to MSD dizzy
3. Stock mechanical pump to Mallory 110 feul pump
4. Hedman 1 5/8 to Accufab 1-3/4 long tubes headers

Going to unbolt the exhaust and put the slicks on and put her on the trailer tomorrow. This year Im going to put 10-12lbs in the slicks (I was at 16-18 last year before I knew better) and launch HARD...
Got to make the 11's!!!!!!!!!
TK

·
Registered
237 Posts
Wow! 116 mph is good enough already for the 11's. Motor was running strong before! I don' t know, but I never try to get too excited about making a change or changes and going faster. Many times it even feels stronger but I end up being slower. Only one way to find out though! Run her hard and I hope you make it!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Hope it runs well. First time out for a combo is usually more learning than running it at it's full potential. Look forward to hearing the results!

How did those headers fit?

Did you retune the carb?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Id rather not talk about the headers

Seriously... they are nice units... and look freakin huge on that smallblock... but they did not fit very well. #4 and #8 tubes had to be cut and re-positioned to clear the firewall.
BUT the biggest problem was that there is no header gasket that fits that header with the wide bolt pattern... so, I was told to use copper sealant... which is fine with the motor out, but with the motor in and the headers unbolted I had to undo the engine mounts and jack the motor up... and that gave me all of about 1/2 inch to apply the sealant. I had to use a popsicle stick to get around the ports... and you can imagine how many swear words were heard that day

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Thordane65 on 8/9/06 10:53am ]</font>

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
What size slicks? Most slicks that fit under non-tubbed 65-66 mustangs work best with around 13-14 psi of air. 10 -12 psi in a small tire won't help.

You ever ride a bike with tires that were really low on air? They are hard to pedal. Low tires offer a lot of rolling resistance. Use as much air as you can, as long as they aren't spinning. 13-14 usually works best for traction on smaller slicks.

Edit... I see you have 8.5" tires, so definitely use 13-14 psi... and you are still using a Stealth intake??? You might want to try a Victor Jr.

Have you been able to drive it much? How does it feel? Don't be afraid to wick it up to around 6800 rpm.... especially if you install a Victor Jr intake.

31 spline axles might be in your future...

Good Luck!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: n2omike on 8/9/06 10:54am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: n2omike on 8/9/06 10:55am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: n2omike on 8/9/06 10:56am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Mike... thanks for the tip.
I kept the stealth for now... my only condern with the Vic JR is that I may have to go with a cowl hood... I literally have 3/8 clearance now

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The car feels alot stronger... maybe Im just being optimistic but it literally feels as fast as last year WITH the NOS. The car still has the low end grunt but with a whole new attitude at 5000-7500. It pulls very strong at 6000 rpm... the old cam really flattened out by then.
It may be a combo of cam and fuel. Although it never stuttered at 5000 rpm... I had concerns it wasnt getting the fuel from the stock mechanical pump... and now with the mallory 110 it seems to have plenty of fuel as its still pulling like a beast at 7000rpm.
I just hope my stock cast bottem end holds... or there will be one hell of a lightshow

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll check those out for sure.
I'll also update the "new times" ASAP.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
have you got a grind number for your new cam?

·
Registered
373 Posts
You definitely had plenty of mph before the changes to be in the 11's.
I am interested to know how the new cam performs as well.
Hopefully you will have a new best time (11's) that you can brag about! I'll do the same when I run that number

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
On 2006-08-08 19:56, Thordane65 wrote:
Hey Mike... thanks for the tip.
I kept the stealth for now... my only condern with the Vic JR is that I may have to go with a cowl hood... I literally have 3/8 clearance now
Trevor, here is an idea that might get you more hood clearance and also improve your performance too. Remember that Holley brand dropped air cleaner I suggested a few weeks ago and then saw that it would hit the distributor?

How about installing a short spacer plate (probably a 4 hole) under your carb that would raise it up and thus also the air cleaner enough to clear the distributor. Theoretically, if you only needed a 3/8" carb spacer plate, you could possibly gain an inch or so more hood clearance and could still use a 3" tall x 14" air cleaner.

At first it may sound weird, but it might get you the extra clearance without the taller hood.

If you went with an even taller spacer or want more hood clearance (assuming that you still have air cleaner to distributor clearance,) I have a couple of mods that can further drop the air cleaner another 7/16" and yet still maintain the recommended 1 1/4" air cleaner top-to-base clearance.

65' STANG, 3160 lbs

393W, 2.78 Toploader 4 Spd, 9" 3:70 Posi
Pro Comp Heads, Vic Jr. Intake, 750dp, 236/561 Solid Cam, 9.6CR, 1 3/4" Headers, Lakewood, Subframes, Caltracs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dennis111 on 8/10/06 4:24am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey guys!
OK.. car ran GREAT! Just too bad I have a real bad habit of red-lighting! LOL

Best run was [email protected] with a 1.69 60foot. Car has a ton more power 4000+.... still have a bit of a traction issue off the line though.
I think the car has more in it with some better power shifting and better 60 foot times... but we went into eliminations so I had to run 12.0 seconds or slower so I tried to fender race a guy and red-lighted and went on the trailer.

Overall a great weekend!
Thanks for all the tips, they all came in handy!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Nice run!! You picked up 3mph which is about...what...30hp?
You might get another tenth or two if you can get the victor Jr. to clear your hood and get the traction issue fixed.
Now go hook up the NOS and run 10's!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts