Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 69stang with a 351w. I got a really good deal on a solid flattappet cam and i plan on installing it with my stock heads. the promblem is the valvetrain is non ajustable. will that work with a solid cam. i know u have to adj the lash and all of that stuff. how can i make it work?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Buying new rockers won't make the valve train adjustable the problem is with the rocker studs.They will have a shoulder on them that prevents you from tightening the nut down any further.Do a bit of research and you will find a spacer that goes inside your rocker arm under the nut to lift it up a little and then you will be able to adjust it.(Hopefully someone will see this and know the part number).You will need nuts that lock however once you do this as the stock nuts may loosen on there own.Some guys just use another nut as a jam nut but I would get a set with an allen screw in the top.You will also need the matching valve springs for the cam.Unless its a very mild cam with soft springs you may need to convert to aftermarket screw in studs anyway which will solve your adjustability problems.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Don't forget guideplates. I assume you have rail-rockers and no slotted holes in the head to guide the pushrods?

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
On 2006-07-03 14:34, Matte wrote:
Don't forget guideplates. I assume you have rail-rockers and no slotted holes in the head to guide the pushrods?

Guide plates are not used with rail rockers. The rails keep the pushrod aligned. As mentioned above, this system is for mild cams. Anything radical and you are asking for trouble. To much lift and spring tension and the rocker studs can pull out of the head.

If you converted your heads to run non-rail rockers with screw in studs, you will also need to purchase hardened pushrods and guide plates. Stock 351w's pushrods are not hardened.

65' Stang

393W Stroker, Wide Toploader 4 Spd, 9" 3:70 Posi

Victor Jr. Heads, Stealth Intake, 750dp, 236/561 Solid Cam, 9.6CR, 1 3/4" Headers, Lakewood, Subframes, Caltracs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dennis111 on 7/4/06 8:12pm ]</font>

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow this seems like a hassle. maybe it would be better if i got a set of cheap used iron heads. anyone have an idea of a good cheap head that could be used? is there any stock 351heads any year that have an adjustable valvetrain?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
The World heads are good and cheap used, the Jr. and Sr.s, and the later Roush heads. Neither of those are even that expensive new.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone heard of J&C Enterprises. I found them on ebay. they have 190cc iron heads for 599 brandnew complete.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Definately upgrade the heads.. world JR's can be had cheap and they are a great head for the $.
Just be aware with the solid cam comes a lot of homeowrk on break-in... right oils, right lash etc.
I just did it... and it was a lot of work.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what do u mean by right oils?? i know the adjusting is a pain. how often do u have to adjust them?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts