Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I got job, I wanna build a big block. I do have a 390 sitting in the backyard. But since I am going to put some money into it, I figure go with a 460, maybe even a 514.

Here's some questions I have.
1. Will I have to modify the shock towers in my 68 Fairlane for it to fit?
2. How much should I except to pay for parts, and some labor.
3. Will I have to upgrade the drivetrain?
i.e. Driveshaft, tranny, rearend, front suspension, etc

Hood clearence is no problem, I have a 347 with a C4 tranny, 8.8" rear with 3.73 gears. More info, if needed.

Right now my 347 is doing great. My best time at the 1/4 mile is 13.8. But like most of you, I wanna go faster.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Can you give me some more specs on your 347.What kind of mph were you running?.I'm not sure how much your car weighs but I would have thought the 347 would have been quicker than that.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
The "385" series engines will work with no shock tower mods. You'll need a 9" rear if you don't already have one. C-4 trans will work well, also keeps the same crossmember. You'll have very little clearance for the fan, you'll have to run a electric one. It's a toght fit but worth it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
umm that 347 should be quite a bit faster
me and my buddy got a bone stock 5.0 in a 83 stang to run 14.22 on steet tires and a **** launch

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
rod n az

I have a couple of the Ford BBF/351m/400 to C4 bells that bolt to the caser not the pump if you are interested in saving a few bucks in that area. The bell from PA or JW runs around 300-320 shipped to you form them or jegs.

Crites makes headers and mounts, I think and I believe AutoKrafters carries a set. There maybe others out there also. Headerrs and mounts will set you back about $500.

DOVE-A/B/C heads can be had for $100-200 and you do all the work or $300 and up with some ones putting large valves in them. Heads with casting number after these usually have larger chambers and with D3VE and later have rocker pedistals like the cleveland.

You can find a 514 kit from $1500 to 2000.

The best blocks, or so they say, are most any with casting numbers like D1VE and D0VE and older.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My car weighs a lot as it is, but then I have about 200lbs of stereo equipment, then I weigh 240 lbs.

That 13.8 was at 103 mph, with 3.00 gears, stock stall converter, and really bad traction. That was before I added the 3.73 gears, a 2000 converter, shift kit, and tractions bars. I can feel a difference with the new stuff.

As for fan clearance, I already have an electric fan mounted in front of the radiator. I was also planing on having a 9" built, with 4.11 gears, and a Detroit locker.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Go big block and you won't be disappointed. A bone stock 10.5:1 460 with cast iron intake using headers, 850DP, and 2500 stall with 3.50 gears should get you mid/low 13s(with traction of course) with the stock '68-'71 cam. You can't get any more mild or stock than that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts