Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive read alot of posts here on SBF stroker kits. Im looking to buy a 347 rotating kit for when I rebuild the '89 Mustang 5.0L engine (converted to carb)I have in my '78 Zephyr. This will be for STREET use only with max RPM of about 5000 (and probably only rarely at that). I see that some suppliers are terrible on customer service. Im on a budget and would like to buy a kit that is less than $1000 but from someone that will really stand behind what they sell and give good tech support. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Paul

1978 Mercury Zephyr 4-dr / Holley 600 vac sec carbed 1989 5.0L HO with Edelbrock Performer intake / MSD-6A / T-5 / 8.8" rear 3.27:1 / Mustang 5.0L brakes, suspension, steering / Dual exhaust / Mustang 10 hole wheels / P225/60R15 Goodyear Eagle TR

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Paul78Zephyr on 11/14/06 11:01am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
http://www.fordstrokers.com/

I will tell you this. Talk to Jim (aka woody1 here on fordmuscle) and he WILL take care of you. I've never seen customer support like his, period. This means BEFORE purchase, DURING purchase. And most importantly. AFTER purchase. I know this sounds somewhat impossible, but I'm not kidding.

http://www.fordstrokers.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=141

785$ from the above site, including rings, AND bearings. For an extra 140$ he will send it to you already balanced with a shop balancer and flywheel, which you can also purchase from him. Pretty hard to beat that.

Cris

·
Registered
513 Posts
Another guy to check with is Barry R (on this forum) from www.survivalmotorsports.com
I ordered my 408 Cleveland stroker kit from him and I am very very satisfied with the time and effort he put towards making sure my kit was the way I wanted it. Definetally went out of his way and seems very interested how it all turns out when its done. So he too is all about the customer service before, during and after the sale.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
And a 3rd choice is Brian at www.adperformance.com. He knows his stuff, has good parts, decent prices, and is very willing to help.

65' STANG, 3160 lbs

393W NA, 2.78 Toploader 4 Spd, 9" 3:70 Posi
Pro Comp Heads, Vic Jr. Intake, 750dp, 236/561 Solid Cam, 9.6CR, 1 3/4" Headers, Lakewood, Subframes, Caltracs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dennis111 on 11/14/06 6:59pm ]</font>

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm a fan of Brian at AD (460 stroker kit) as well. Have also hear positive things about Barry at Survival. Both offer excellent prices and customer service. Both are on the boards as well ofering tech advice and hardware info.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Another vote for brian at ad. he's helping me right now.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
My best advice is to give them each a call, and see what they have to say =). I've heard good about them all as far as that goes, but my vote still goes to Woody at www.fordstrokers.com. He's got a whole message board setup for tech, and to take care of his customers! I believe you're a member?

Cris

·
Registered
120 Posts
These questions usually get me into trouble...

What I will tell you is to buy your kit from somebody who will talk to you about the parts, the effort required, and has some engine building experience. These days building a stroker is not terribly hard - but it does take more effort than a stock rebuild and things do happen sometimes - - you want somebody to talk too just in case...

I try to answer phone calls and e-mails promptly. Brian at AD and I compete and bump heads sometimes - but he is a good guy and takes good care of his customers. I don't know Woody - but he sounds like another good guy based on the recommendations. There are several others as well...

Pretty much everybody will be reasonably close on prices if you're buying brand name parts. I'm not real sold on most private label imported stuff just for the same reasons - I want someone to talk to if a customer has a component problem - and I don't speak Chinese.

The punchline is to avoid the ebay peddlers who don't provide any service (there is actually one guy who specifically states that he will NOT answer phone calls or technical questions - and he sells a lot of kits?!). Avoid the mystery parts - at least the folks at Scat, Probe, or Eagle have an established business reputation to protect - and are thus far more likely to be concerned about quality.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I got my kit from Brian at AD. He is a good guy, who is sometimes hard to get ahold of on the phone, but always available through e-mail. I agree with Barry on what you should look for in the person you are getting the kit from.

...Just for what it is worth, do not run any kit with the KB pistons. Been there trashed that.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
On 2006-11-15 08:32, BarryR wrote:
These questions usually get me into trouble...

What I will tell you is to buy your kit from somebody who will talk to you about the parts, the effort required, and has some engine building experience. These days building a stroker is not terribly hard - but it does take more effort than a stock rebuild and things do happen sometimes - - you want somebody to talk too just in case...

I try to answer phone calls and e-mails promptly. Brian at AD and I compete and bump heads sometimes - but he is a good guy and takes good care of his customers. I don't know Woody - but he sounds like another good guy based on the recommendations. There are several others as well...

Pretty much everybody will be reasonably close on prices if you're buying brand name parts. I'm not real sold on most private label imported stuff just for the same reasons - I want someone to talk to if a customer has a component problem - and I don't speak Chinese.

The punchline is to avoid the ebay peddlers who don't provide any service (there is actually one guy who specifically states that he will NOT answer phone calls or technical questions - and he sells a lot of kits?!). Avoid the mystery parts - at least the folks at Scat, Probe, or Eagle have an established business reputation to protect - and are thus far more likely to be concerned about quality.
This says it all =).

·
Registered
28 Posts
So if we can't have the business at least give it to one of the guys that will support you!

We carry all the major brands (vs. 1 or two) and have been doing it longer than most anyone.

Everyone has a preference, go with who you're comfortable with.

www.adperformance.com

Brian

PS: Thank you to everyone who has supported us.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts