Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to find the best book I can about c4's. Just wondering if anyone had any particular book they like.

Especially if one has the differences between different years and what parts are interchangable, etc.

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
I have a few articles with some tips for various mods that i have sent to a lot of the guys on here,that i could email you if thats any help..

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I am going to buy one tomorrow. I think it is the Haynes? Any good?

The transpak and rebuild kit just got here, so I want to dive in!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll take any information I can get!

I've seen the Haynes manual, covers c4, c5, c6, AOD, AFX??, etc..

Seems like a lot to have in one book, but it's the only one I've seen so far.

Let us know if it's any good.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
not race oriented, but you can get a good overhaul manual at

http://www.bulkparts.com

along with the good hipo rebuild parts (plates, steels, bands) at a good cost, or i think so.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Do you really need a in/lb tourque wrench?

Where can you get one of these for cheep?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm using a copy of a ford service manual that I photocopied a long time ago the whole section on C4 tranny assembly/disassembly. If you can get your hands on one just make a copy of the section and it should work fine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
There is a Haynes Techbook called Ford Automatic Transmission Overhaul that is an excellent resource for rebuilding a C4, C6 and I think AOD. C5 is in there too I think. Haven't looked at it in awhile so I can't remember what all is in it. Not necessarily geared towards performance but full of good tidbits like the small-block Ford book.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The C5 and C4 are basically the same transmission. The C5 was produced from 1982 to 1987. It is similar to the C4 with slight modifications to the valve body and the addition of a centrifugal lock-up converter clutch. You can use the same diag procedures for the C4 as you would use for the C5 and vice versa.

The parts are the same internally as far as I can tell. I have never had any trouble swapping parts from either. For 14.95 plus shipping, it is a pretty good manual for both the C4 and C5. I happen to have one in my hand at this very moment and the pics are crystal clear with good instructions with each pic.

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
1965FALCON,if you want to put your email in your profile i will get some info to you.
Walt you dont really need the in/lb wrench but you do need to be careful not to overtighten the valvebody bolts.
Also ,you guys,dont forget to check the archives,there is a good c4 article there i posted a while ago that will help you out..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gregaust on 2/6/02 6:03pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
so you can get away with using a ft/lb tq wrench to adjust the bands?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
NO!!!!!!

Take a 1/4 inch wrench, snug it good and firm and then back off the required number of turns less 1/4 turn. This has always worked for me on my C4/C5's for the last 20 years. I have never had a band or servo failure.

·
Registered
150 Posts
does that work for both bands ? the reason i ask is that the tranny shops here act like it takes an act of god to adjust them. therefore they want alot to rebuild a c4 . i have rebuilt motors and i have gone into a few t-5's but i have never torn into an automatic tranny. do you guy's think i can rebiuld one ? let me know what you think.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you can rebuild a motor you can rebuild a C4. You can't get any easier trans to rebuild. If you apply the same basic principals from engine building to transmissions you will be ok. The top 2 are clearances and cleanliness. If it looks worn replace it. If you have any questions there are always a bunch of people here that can help.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
There are two tools I made instead of buying to take the clutch packs apart. They are both very similar but the width is the only difference. If you have a welder or buddy who can weld and some scarp flat steel laying around you can make them also.

I took a J bolt like holds the spare in the older cars, 1/2" all thread works too, two 1/2" nut and then cut some 2" wide by 1/8" steel into the following lenghts.....1 - 4", 1 - 3" and 4 - 2.5". Take the 4 - 2.5" pieces and give them a sligth 'V' shape. Drill a 1/2" hole in the center of the two long pieces. Onece you have your tranny apart, you can then mock up the pieces (one long and two short pieces) to each clutch pack and see where to weld them together. I have been using these two tools for the last 25 years.

Also, I use the C6 pump bushing instead of the C4 bushing.

Where did you get your book?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just Strokin on 2/13/02 9:08am ]</font>

1 - 20 of 21 Posts