Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what rear gear you might go for?

I am setting up a 9" for my 64 Fairlane, it has a 302 now (but bigger later, 347), 5 speed trans (tremec tko500), 275 rear tires (sticky radials next). I have 4.10 now in the 8" and they seem like too much, but maybe thats because this 302 is too weak(?).

I see a lot of fox bodys with 3.50 and 3.70, and kind of leaning towards 3.70 but just not sure.

The goal with the next engine would be to get low 12.'s in the 1/4 so all my set up now is taking that into account.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am currently running a 5.0, 4.10s with an AOD and a 275/60/15 drag radial tires. Me personally if it is not a daily driver I would go with the 4.10s,I love mine. I went from 3.55s to the 4.10s and have not regretedit. Just my thoughts. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
What cam?

If you've got a midrange power cam, you're not spending enough time at lower RPMs with those gears, and are blowing past where you make the most power.

I've got 3.50's in my '67 Stang with a decent 302 and a 9" It could use more gear (like 4.11's) on the 1/8th mile, and I haven't taken it on the quarter yet.

Since you have the TKO, you won't have to worry about spinning 3500 RPM at 60MPH, that was why I got 3.50's for mine. It was my daily driver for about a year.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
A little math will tell youwhat rear gears to use if you know tire size. Just find out how many RPM you need to turn your tires at peak hp RPM at the end of a quarter mile run. Its not rocket science but it is close.
Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts