Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
22,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a suggestion for the best thing to use to make an upholstery pattern with? When i did my bucket seats i used cereal boxes but there weren't really any big pieces except the middle of the seat which then i just used the old seat piece as the pattern. This time i have no seat, don't even have a seat frame and need to start with nothing. It's a bench with split back seat and a cereal box isn't going to be that big. I was thinking butcher paper or that paper we had in school on the huge rolls. Just not sure where i could find that by the foot. Something stiffer would be better, like cereal box, then i could trace around it but no idea what that could be. Unless i can find it at Costco, the big sheets that go between stacks of cereal boxes or something. I've seen it but don't remember what it was for.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
You could try an art supply store or craft store for posterboard if you are more comfortable using something a bit more rigid, or head over to your local JoAnn Fabrics (or equivalent) and see what they suggest. They may be able to get you a couple of yards of something cheap.

You can also give a sign shop a try to see if they have any material on a roll that you could buy by the foot. Many of the ones I work with have material in rolls up to 5' wide. the photographic paper (seamless) we use for the back of sets comes in rolls up to 10' wide, but it is pretty expensive.

Good luck!
Paul

1969 R-Code, 4-Speed, Drag-Pack Cobra Fastback Project
1967 Mercury Commuter Wagon w/mild 429

http://mycarrestorationprojects.blogspot.com/

·
Administrator
22,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might see if i can find that rosin paper. Sure glad you posted a link, never heard of it before. Think that just might do the trick. I thought of newspaper but that's too flimsy and tearable. Says home depot has it too and the price isn't bad.

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Try clear plastic . you can see through it to.
actually that sounds like a good idea...:tup:
and a sharpe to trace pattern...;)

·
Administrator
22,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Be ok if it's a heavier plastic i suppose.
I need to dig my way to the vinyl in the garage to see what colors i have. Will have to be 2 tone i think. Don't think there's enough of one color for the whole seat. It will be a temporary cover anyway and be practice for me!

I've seen upholsterers use that fiber board stuff for patterns but those are for someone that's going to be doing similar seats repeatedly. Lot of trouble to cut that to shape! If i do this cover again it will be with the seat in front of me and in cloth rather than vinyl. But that will probably be way down the road. I just want something to cover the springs and maybe the car will get driven a little bit more!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.