Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, this is getting on the obscene side.
I just got off the phone with a guy with a '74 Q code Ranchero, car is complete minus the 351C 4v CJ.
I am trying to plan things out right now, sort of driving me nuts. I plan on parting out, will have more info if things go ok.
{ I normally deal with 72-76 Torino/Montego stuff, but figured I should actually post here in the Ranchero section!}

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry guys, some how there was a double posting on this...anyways, I am picking this up early next week.
I am not big on rancheros, but if there is anything in praticular that should be saved, let me know?
I don't have a problem cutting floors, rockers panels, etc out if they are good.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Andy,
Can you save me that passenger side rear dog dish wheel cover? I've got three just that color and need one more to complete my set. I'd take the front passenger side one too as a spare but looks like some hack got to it with a can of silver spray paint.

Thanks,
Jon

:)

PS. I'll take the two 50 caliber guns under the front bumper. Looks like they'll match my new wheel cover.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem, Jon. I have an 8 hour drive tomorrow, but I called and the guy is throwing in the hub caaps, he was like you can have them!
They are all natural rust, no paint as far as I could tell.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Got a notice: 1974 Q code Ranchero * updated* new pics

Ok, just got home about an hour and a half ago, 12 hour road trip including alot of stops for gas, and some BS'n with the guy I got the Ranchero from.
Car was a genuine 1 owner. Guy bought is new, drove it, and when the frame developed the issues, he junked the car. I have the certificate stating the car was junked by the owner. 351c 4v CJ engine, c6, was a 2 bolt main block. Going to be rebuilt and put into a mustang.

Drivers door had rust in bottom, but could be saved with work. Passenger door alot better, but has lip rot.
Drivers fender seems good. Pass fender is rotted in a few places.
Hood good and straight, but there is rust on the seams. Header panel good. Grille ok, trim not bad, minor ding or two. Head light rings pitted a bit. Rad support has some rust, but looks ok. Didn't see any cracks wound the body mount area. Both fender liners junk.

Was a vinal roof car, but was removed and painted some time ago, but top trim was left on.
I don't know what is in the the rear axle, need to look it up yet. Assuming highway gears.
Has 11" discs and 11" drums. Brakes still work!

Floor pans are flinstoned, holes on driver side. Can't tell all that well on the passenger side yet, but assuming the same, need to pull up carpet.
Seats tracks set up for buckets {has split bench}

Tailgate has dent, and minor rust on bottom. Thing open and closes SMOOTH. Trim on bed sides had some dings, small dents. but nothing terrible.
Looks like the bed sides were possibly replaced at some point, but not sure.
Outter wheel houses are intact, but some rot at the very bottom. Rusted out where they are attached to the inside of the bed panels. Rockers appear to be pretty good, but has rot on very front, and very rear.

Car was originally some funky greenish color, by looking at the firewall, and inside. Was painted white.

Has a larger front sway bar, no rear bar.
Rear bumper is trashed, but bumper brackets look good out back.
Tail lights have pitting on molding, but ok on red plastic.
Wiring harness looks unhacks inside, but I don't know yet.
I didn't bother to see if a tilt column.
Front bumper looks good, except the top, towards the center/left very top, metal has some small dents?
Glass all is good, windows roll up and down smooth.

I plan on taking as much off this and rather quick like.
If you have anything in praticular, let me know. If sheetmetal, I will cut out any sort of panels/ areas you might need.
I honestly would prefer to sell the front clip minus the hood hinges complete. If you need the roof, let me know. Same goes if anyone might be interested in the rocker panels.
As far as the firewall, if anyone needs me to look at it, let me know.
As far as the bed area-I can chop the roof off and cut it across the floor pan.
I plan on pulling the wiring harness as complete as possible.
Email me or PM me.

I plan on starting in on this thing tomorrow, removing major parts, but as far as the bed area, if you guys need something, I need to know by probably Saturday. Not trying to rush, just don't want to upset my neighbors, and I don't want to have the city on me for having *yet another* parts car on a trailer in my driveway...lol...

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
If I wanted the complete dash to include the wiring harness, engine harness, front and rear lighting harnesses what kind of $$$ would you be looking to get for that?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Andy,
Can you save me that passenger side rear dog dish wheel cover? I've got three just that color and need one more to complete my set. I'd take the front passenger side one too as a spare but looks like some hack got to it with a can of silver spray paint.

Thanks,
Jon

:)

PS. I'll take the two 50 caliber guns under the front bumper. Looks like they'll match my new wheel cover.

PM sent.
Those things BTW were I guess for a tow bar the guy used for pulling this one...:eek:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I did in fact have the cops called. Stopped by, was not a total PITA to me, but still it irritated me. A neighbor said it's probably the granny on the corner, but I saved what I could off the Ranchero, and hauled it in.
Speaking of which, I did save the 9", some sheet metal, I decided to cut the roof and save it, along with the bed trim, window trim, etc.
I was going to save the front frame section but decided to forget it and let it go.
At the yard, the loader dropped the ranchero back on the trailer, and spooked my dog...he hopped out of the cab and went running off the 1 foot deep mud hole and of course me running after his stupid ass we both got muddy as could be and he made a mess of the seat in my truck, and I managed to screw up a brand new pair of boots.
On the plus, I did dump a few bits of other stuff like a old roll of junk chainlink fence, a cast iron junk intake, and managed to get a little back for the scrap, can't complain, better than nothing.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
just wanted to ask what the deal is with having parts cars on YOUR property where you live?
can your neighbours really dictate what you can have on your land?
here in new zealand there are no such laws,it just blows me away that someone can complain about this sort of thing,and be listened to.
btw-ive been enjoying your torino build,going to be an awesome car when shes done mate

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, generally I don't have problems, because I try to keep stuff neat in clean...I live in one of the suburbs of Omaha, Nebraska...I spoke with a couple of my neighbors, and they are like as long as no sawzall at 2am, we're cool with what you do provided it's not left laying around all year.
I spent yesterday hauling off some junk and parts to a buddy that scraps stuff, and he kicks me back what ever the stuff is bringing, like ac aluminum condensors, aluminum bellhouse off a f150, etc.

My thing was honestly with the Ranchero, my front yard looked like hell, and was trying to do it quickly and save what ever was worth keeping. When I strip a car, I am the type if I think it's worth it, I gut the interiror, will cut the frame front clip to get all the suspension at one time, cut the frame apart, for the lower control arm pockets, stuff alot of guys don't think about trying to save.
One of my neighbors said there is a little old lady, the same one who walked by my place and gave me the evil eye look, that called the humane society on him about his dog barking too much {but he also has a 34 dodge coupe, black primer, open exhaust, cool car...thinking that thing might, just MIGHT be pissing her off as well.} and got a warning for neglecting his mutt, because it's outside?!?
ah, anyways, the local laws over here vary by city and state, but generally around here, non-registered, non-operation stuff, if in the open, can get snagged from you by the city.
I've occasionally had other cars in the criveway, but they are always covered with a car cover, tarps attract too many wandering eyes.
I would be storing cars at a family farm, but that sort of got stopped a few years back because of f*&#ing sticky finger syndrome by the farm workers the family occasionally uses. Little stuff like, steering wheels, tires and rims, carbs, and basically anything not locked in a secure building.:mad:
oh well, life goes on.
Have a good one, thanks for the reply on my GTS, much appreciated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts