Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the good news is if I take the vacuum line of the pressure rises.
Alright I was trying to get the shifter linkage to work. it doesn't seem to be clicking through the gears even with the shifter off. It seems to not go into 1st/low.
The other problem is reverse doesn't seem to be working . I have it on jackstands and no matter what gear its in it always turns forward, except park that works. I'm so lost as to why its not working. also neutral spins like its in gear too. I don't get it, any ideas

·
Registered
159 Posts
I dont think you installed the spool valve correctly when you placed the valve body onto the cases mechanical linkage pin . The internal linkage is bound and quite possibly bent. ...do-over time.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Yup. The shift lever must engage the first slot on the spool.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
You also have to have the linkage adjusted properly for it to work.
here is the right way to do it:
Throttle Linkage:
With the throttle pedal pressed and held to the floor Adjust linkage at the carburetor to ensure that the throttle plates are completely open without binding or moving over center. Check to be sure that engine idle is not impaired and is properly adjusted.

the two adjustments that follow are best done with the car jacked and blocked off the ground so that you can access the linkage under the car.

Kick-Down Linkage:
With the throttle held in the Wide Open Throttle position and the kick-down rod held fully depressed:
Move the adjusting screw to provide .060" clearance between the adjusting screw and throttle lever.

Shift Linkage:
Place and hold gear selector lever in "Drive" and against its stop. (toward low gear but in "drive" position)
Loosen the adjustment lock-nut at the transmission case lever.
Remove the linkage rod or cable end. Shift the manual lever to the "Drive" position.
Adjust the linkage to go on the manual lever without moving it in either direction.
Tighten the lock-nut and check the operation of the linkage from inside the car.
Readjust as required.

That is that!
Paul

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had put the shift linkage into the first slot, maybe it go out of there somehow. I'm picking up another vb tomorow. this vb has been nothing but problems since i got it.

I don't have kickdown linkage. Its going in a 93 mustang and every place I read said you didn't need because of the vacuum module. I had tried to rig up a kickdown linkage from the old tv cable from the aod and that didn't work. it broke the kickdown rod inside, the cable didn't have enough travel.

For shifter linkage i'm only 4 clicks instead of 5 so somethings not right inside. But I'm running a b&m pro ratchet shifter and I spent a hour or so before i realized why i couldn't get it to engage in all the gears, because it won't even manually go through all the gears.

·
Registered
861 Posts
There are 6 positions on the shifter.
PRND21

1 - 8 of 8 Posts