Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I working on my 61. I've got the bird to run and hold a smooth idle, but while driving, it wants to cut off. It take about five or ten minutes to get it to start again. This normally happens after I've given it some gas (accelerate).

I am thinking it may be a rich mixture problem.

Not sure where to start, but I've order a new carburetor thinking it was a good start, seeing how all the components of my stock carb are rusted and don't seem to adjust anything.

Another point to bring up is I started with not being able to get fuel to my carburetor. I thought it may have been a fuel pump problem. However after removing my inline fuel filter my pump seemed to work fine. I decided to bypass the inline filter completely.

After I install the new carburetor I may go back to the fuel pump if I am still having problems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hello,first of all,this is a 51yr old car, unless you have a new or flushed and sealed gas tank,you shoud not bypass the fuel filter,there's alot of **** in there,and ya don't want that in your new carb,as for right now it sounds like a stuck float,possibly a vacuum leak??? also check spark plugs,cap,rotor,down the road you may want to ditch the points and get a petronics magntic pickup,also called the flamethrower,very cheap and reliable,easy to install in your distributor!! good luck merry christmas john.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I working on my 61. I've got the bird to run and hold a smooth idle, but while driving, it wants to cut off. It take about five or ten minutes to get it to start again. This normally happens after I've given it some gas (accelerate).

Not sure where to start, but I've order a new carburetor thinking it was a good start, seeing how all the components of my stock carb are rusted and don't seem to adjust anything.

Another point to bring up is I started with not being able to get fuel to my carburetor. I thought it may have been a fuel pump problem. However after removing my inline fuel filter my pump seemed to work fine. I decided to bypass the inline filter completely.

After I install the new carburetor I may go back to the fuel pump if I am still having problems.
You also might want to keep your fuel lines away from any heated areas like exhaust, headers (if you have them), or the intake as you could get boil off of the fuel or vapor lock. My 65 falcon did that and I had to reroute the fuel lines away from the headers and the intake. +1 on keeping a fuel filter between the pump and carb. If you don't you will be rebuilding your carb in due time when that crap gets in there. I even suggest running a fuel filter between the tank and pump as well. Remember fuel lines get old and crud builds up in them from the tank to the pump.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

Are you saying that if you give it gas, it stumbles down and dies?

Maybe, to be determined

Other than the UN-adjustability dunno what symptoms you were dealing with to start off.
Was this one of the owner added inlines? Think after I saw the pump working, I would have just replaced it with a new one. If car has been sitting for anytime there is no telling what kind of junk is in the tank/lines.

Do yourself a big favor and install another filter. Will/can save tons of problems later.
Keep us informed, we are here to help.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Depending on how long it's been sitting, the gasoline can also be causing some of your problems.

Back in the day, gasoline was just that, gasoline. There is an extremely small amount of dissolved water in gasoline. Over time, this would build up and fall out of suspension. It would cause rust build up in gas tanks and fuel lines. Gasoline would also deposit something they call varnish on everything, which would cover up the rust and keep it from clogging things up.

The fuel we use now is called E10, which contains 10% ethanol. The ethanol in the fuel dissolves the varnish build up freeing the rust that has been building up for years. The rust breaks free and clogs things like crazy. Like others have suggested, I would run a filter between the tank and the pump as well as between the pump and the carb.

There is a plus side to the ethanol though. The ethanol will mix with any water that may be in your system and keep it in suspension, which means instead of building up and rusting things out it gets cycled through the system and pumped out in your exhaust.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Why would you bypass the gas filter? Its cheap like dirt cheap.. Goto any parts store and get a new one now... If it gets all dirty, you know you got problems in the tank. Start with the cheap easy things first.. then work outward. Replacing filter is #1 priority. If it gunks up then that helps you troubleshoot your problem. If not then proceed to your carb adjustments.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The thing is that with the inline filter the fuel never gets past it. When I removed it I final got gas to the carburetor. It may be a temporary solution to a dying fuel pump problem.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
There is a plus side to the ethanol though. The ethanol will mix with any water that may be in your system and keep it in suspension, which means instead of building up and rusting things out it gets cycled through the system and pumped out in your exhaust.
That is methanol. Ethanol will actually draw moisture/vapor from the atmosphere. This is why it (ethanol) does OK on Closed Emissions Systems and not on older models as their fuel system is vented to the atmosphere.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Listen to these guys. Your temporary fix will cause you much continuing agony. A new filter back on is absolutely #1. Any possibility there was no flow because it was full of crud? Go to your local parts store, WallyMart, etc. and get a Fram G2 filter (if yours are 5/16" lines) or G3 (3/8" lines). They very cheap and you can see into them for crap checks. If your pump will not flow through one of those when new, you have other problems. Still, the filter goes on first. You'll get there.
:tup:
David

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
:eek:

Now that is going to cost some ducats. Hope you have found a quality re-builder. If you are ever thinking of doing a dedicated restoration, hold onto the original carb (if it is the original).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think the engine is OEM. I found the engine tag today and it looks like its a 200 ci out of a 70's mustang or comet. I though I had a 144 l6, but I'll take the 200 ci.

Take a look at the tag: Can anyone decode it for me?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
You have decoded it.

I thought by your handle you were describing a 61 TBIRD 390... :confused:

·
Registered
380 Posts
A strong possibility is that you have an almost completly blocked fuel filter. It would explain why it idled O.K. but when you needed the extra fuel, it couldn't get through. It would only allow a trickle which would, over time and pressure from the pump, eventually refill the float bowl. By-passing it would allow the engine to run normaly, but is only good for troubleshooting. Definately replace the filter and give it another go.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm currently having my autolite 1100 being rebuilt by Champion Carburator/Mustang. My falcon has a 68 Mustang 200 i6 to, but the and a head off a 70's something I found out. I'll let you know how they do with it. It was missing a few pieces.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
You're in the Falcon forum.
He maybe clicking on the "new posts" icon.. It just shows the new posted into threads, and like me I dont pay attention to the right side where it shows which forum the thread is in... So that is an honest mistake, as I thought T-bird from OP's screen name untill I looked and saw which "bird" forum I was in,,,

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
He maybe clicking on the "new posts" icon.. It just shows the new posted into threads, and like me I dont pay attention to the right side where it shows which forum the thread is in... So that is an honest mistake, as I thought T-bird from OP's screen name untill I looked and saw which "bird" forum I was in,,,
THANX! NEW POSTS do not differentiate the posts on my screen anyways.

This is one tough crowd here... :frown:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts