Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It's a factory air car but i'm going to need new blowers for both my factory ac unit (i think? it's atleast 60s vintage) and the factory heat.

Also evaporators, condensers etc...

the engine and transmission are going to be swapped for dohc 5.0 and .t-56 magnum. rear will be getting a currie unit.

How wide of tires can fit under the fenders in the factory rear end? should i tub it a little for some 305s (the engine will be supercharged in some manner or another)

thanks.

·
Registered
925 Posts
If that is factory ac it could be a SelectAire, looks like an under dash unit but is integrated into the heater. Why do you think you need a blower motor? I would buy All the underhood components from Vintage air or similar company matched the engine you are going to use.
Mike

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've had my 61 for a little under a year and am not very knowledgeable on Fords, so I am wondering, did Ford even put an AC unit completely in the dash of a 61 Galaxie? I BELIEVE mine is factory and not dealer installed? Most of the interior part of the AC unit IS under the dash. There is nothing on the dash controls or vents that say "AC" or "AIR". I have heater and fan controls on the dash but the only switch for the AC is a knob in the center on the lower AC unit that engages the compressor. Mine also has a throttle control lever to the left of the lower unit that is not hooked up and not totally sure what it is supposed to do? IS my AC factory as I thought? It has the FORD crest on it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was just a short... friggin evap/condensing coils don't even leak... so, coyote with vintage air pulley engine dress should work fine!!

yeah i'm getting the 9.5/1 aluminator to future turbo/supercharge it.

its nice to see power brakes master cylinder and brake booster fit fine!
I LOVE that merc.

speaking of brakes... i know the disk setup from 72-79 full size cars fit, does anyone make a good sat of rotors/calipers that fit on those spindles?

I'd like to end up with a 6/4 piston willwood setup when she's done.

·
Registered
925 Posts
The Merc has original suspension I believe. I haven't talked to the guy since he did the swap. He had a nice running FE with the tri power and cast iron headers with a C6 before the Modular swap.
Mike

·
Registered
925 Posts
Crackthesky, the SelectAire is the factory ac. The vent assembly hangs under the dash but is integrated into the heater box. The heat and defrost controls say nothing about ac. I bought a SelectAire unit on eBay for my 61 but haven't gotten to installing it yet. If I can't get my car to run cooler it will be a waste of time anyway. The lever you have is to increase the engine speed so the ac wil work better.
Mike

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'm really kicking myself... i had a side oiler with a cracked head and missing one of the flywheel lugs that i gave to my cousin cause i was looking for a mustang when i found this galaxie and was going to do a cheap 408 windsor. then i found this car and i'd hate to ask for it back but i'd love for this thing to have it in it..... but i am trying to make more of a driver out of this than a 427 with a t-10 would allow.

but i think a twin turbo 5.0 would be different, cool and have plenty of oomph

·
Registered
960 Posts
65 was the first year for air in the dash.
I've had my 61 for a little under a year and am not very knowledgeable on Fords, so I am wondering, did Ford even put an AC unit completely in the dash of a 61 Galaxie? I BELIEVE mine is factory and not dealer installed? Most of the interior part of the AC unit IS under the dash. There is nothing on the dash controls or vents that say "AC" or "AIR". I have heater and fan controls on the dash but the only switch for the AC is a knob in the center on the lower AC unit that engages the compressor. Mine also has a throttle control lever to the left of the lower unit that is not hooked up and not totally sure what it is supposed to do? IS my AC factory as I thought? It has the FORD crest on it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it's not, its a 352... if it was Y block it would be dropped in my other car so i could rebuild it's 312.

btw my dad and i restored this in high school...

my other winged warrior

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
My brights are still just the outters :-/ (although the pattern does change)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Make sure you are getting power to the inners when on bright first. (test light/meter). If you have power the sealed beams are probably burned out, If no power check the dimmer switch. (they are not expensive if a new one is needed)

MRO.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts