Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Got the Vert!

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  ShotRod64 
#1 ·
Well we are now the proud owners, my father and I, of a '64 500 XL convertible.

The barn find does leave something to be desired but we did get it for around $2100.00 and a 4 door parts car that is in way better shape for an extra $1000.00. The only piece I haven't been able to come up with an idea on how to repair or find a replacement is the inner pillar/windshield trim. Anybody have any ideas? The pieces on the car are nasty!

I will try to do a progress thread once we get rolling on it. First is going to be bodywork and paint. Planning on Rhino lining the entire frame and and underneath of car too. Should be fun...expensive, but fun.

G.

#2 ·
excuse spelling mistakes as the thing is only typing lines!

Waiting for pics mister! As for the inner trim it's hard to find good ones and be prepared to pay too much if you spot some on ebay! They are few and fr between. Is it super bad or do you thinking it's rechromable maybe?

Deb

#4 ·
Shotrod: Are they chromed? I thought maybe they were Aluminum. They could be sand blasted, smoothed out, and maybe powder coated black but that kinda ruins the "Return to original" theme we were going to pursue on the restoration. If they are chromed they maybe able to be refinished.

64Galaxie514: Thanks, I hope all goes well. I think I learned enough from the first build that this one should be quite a bit less expensive. I think I learned from my earlier mistakes. I don't know if Joe's has pieces for verts but I'll email him in the morning.

#5 · (Edited)
Yeah they are chromed so if they aren't pitted too badly or anything they can be recoated. The hardtops are aluminum and the verts are steel I think is how it goes.

Forgot to congrat you on a great find.

Deb

#9 ·
The Vert is rough...to say the least. I will try to remember the camera next week since the car is here at my shop and my camera isn't. Good news though is that the 4 door parts car is in awesome shape. Dad picked it up yesterday. If I wasn't going to need it for parts I might even be interested in driving it daily. Between the two cars I only need the drivers side outter headlight bezel. Guess I'll keep an eye on Ebay.

#10 ·
How's the top bow over the windshield?

The last time I had a top put on mine, the vendor had to really doctor it up because the bow was rotted.

He said that that would be the last top that I could put on that car.

Fortunately, that was back in the late 70s/early 80s and the top is still OK.

There was a time when front bows (repro) were available, but I don't know if they still are.

#11 ·
I didn't actually check out the top bow. Everything looked good though. A little surface rust but nothing to bad. I'll have to do a closer inspection.

#12 ·
My top bow had a couple holes in it also and some of the tabs were rusted off that hold the tack strip. I did a bunch of looking around for a replacement with no luck. Mine a friend fixed so that it should work now. I just don't know when it comes to putting a top on it. Think it'll be fine though.
If it's not too bad it can be patched up by someone that can weld tin or sheet metal.

Deb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.