Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i must say....
this is the last straw! you guyz have finally done it! you have made me madly jealous

greg? has a cobra... anotehr greg has a sweet galaxie and many other cars... a bunch of you have FAST cars...... most all of you actually can read the techboard and understand all of it... alot of you have plenty of "donor" cars or just alot of cars to play around with *see reference to gregcook
* and you have garages! and a house! and and and and and!!!!
ugh i'm so jealous now.... i want to be where you guy are at in whatever way you want to classify that, but i'm not and so much seems to be stacking up against me that i feel i will never be where you guyz are at...

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Perception time, my friend! A lot of us have in no way "made it". We struggle just like you do, maybe more! For others, we've achieved what we have through pain and sacrifice (or via credit cards: pain and sacrifice x 10, only delayed). Guys like Greg Cook and Greg R have what they have 'cause they've worked their arses off and in Greg Cook's case, worked his arse off a long long time
. I've been on "top", (had a 12 second cobra kit, a 100 point 66 2+2 Mustang, and an 89 SuperCoupe T Bird all at the same time). Then the divorce and bankruptsy hit. I lost it all and lived in a crummy roach infested apartment and drove a Ford Festiva with the whole driver side caved in where a deer hit me. Through it all I learned to be satisfied with what I have. Over the last ten years, I've put my life back together (with God's help) and have a great wife and a son who's grown into a man and is a bigger gearhead than I. My new life didn't come easy and still isn't. Frankly, nothing worth having ever does.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Let me tell you dude, it may look greener but it takes a lot of ****
to get it there!!! As Puff Daddy would say, more money, more problems. I find myself wanting what the "other" guy has occasionally. But, what you've got to do is put it into perspective. All the goodies you want will come in time. Most of us aren't fortunate enough to hit the lottery or find a genie in a lamp. We will have to do what all of the successful guys on this board have done, work our asses off! Then we'll gradually be able to have some of the toys we've always wanted. You have a job, a set of wheels, and your health. You have time to put it all together and you live in a country that lets you have those freedoms and liberties.
You must learn the ways of the force young Skywalker before you become a Jedi.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
It is not easy, I am 37 and it has taken me over 16 year to get where I am at, one little piece at a time. Set your goals, but make them achievable, reach them, make new goals, constantly working to better your self and family.

It took all of us at least 9 to 10 months just to learn to walk, usually with major bodily damage, and that is the simplest of goals.

Set your mind to it, stay with with it, fight thru the bad times take advantage of the good, this is my carny philosophy, you see I use to work 16 hours a day for a measily 170$ a week living in a tent if I was lucky, but good friend and commitment to something better got me thru.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm 48 years old. I didn't get my toy until the ripe old age of 47. I got my first new car at 28,my Capri, and I still have it. My boat is a 72,and payed for. the toys and house will come. You need to be patient. I bought my toys when I could afford them. It'll come, just give it time.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
It almost always takes a some sacrifice to get ahead in this world.

I get stuck working second shift and lots of hours to boot!

Second shift cuts you off from almost everything that's going on in the world.

I don't see my neice and nephews very much and I also miss all the weekly night car shows that are around here.

I often think about what the normal people are doing when I'm stuck at work from 2:00 pm to midnight most days?

Even weekends are spent working!

It's nice to have the money to put into my cars but,I have very liitle time to take them to shows or race them anymore.

Used to be I had alot of time and no money for cars, now I have money to do stuff with them but no time to put the parts on!

It will get better for you just keep focused and work hard for your goals and you you get to where you want to be.

Nobody here seems like they have had all there stuff given to them,lots of hard workers and good guys!

Good luck and don't give up!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 5/17/02 8:16am ]</font>

·
Registered
201 Posts
Andwrong,
If I remember right your in your early 20s. When I was that age I lived in an apartment or mobile home. When I finally moved into a house it was with three other people, and it had a one car garage, we had to share it. Credit line? Forget it. Cool car? Well, I tried but ended up with unfinished projects that got sold for a fraction of what I paid. Once I got rid of the ex-wife and the drugs my life then started to straighten out. Better wife came along, houses got bought, and project cars started getting finished. Keep your credit line in check, it will help you when you decide to take the big splurge. I'm 39 and I have two credit cards, both have a credit limit of $1200. Not because that's all I can get, because when the companies call to up it I tell them no. Keep your nose clean, keep your credit in the good, have patience, and good things will come to you.

Greg

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
You guys make me feel fortunate! Got my first hot rod in 1975, '68 Hurst Olds(still have it). I've had over 100 cars & I'm only 44. Guess God's graced me with some good luck. Thanks guys! I was a little down, guess it can always be worse.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
I'm 34, and up until I got married a year or so ago, lived in CHEAP housing, and kept a VERY low standard of living. Still do really. I drive beaters for daily transportation (my newest, and most expensive at $2800) vehicle is a 86' with 224,000 miles that I bought around 7 years ago w/77,000 miles) My tow vehicle is a 84' 4 cylinder ranger that I tug the mustang around with on a tow dolly.

I don't buy expensive clothes, and I don't eat much at restuarants, and when I do, it's usually off their $0.99 value menu.

I can't hold to this now, but back before I got married I fixed the budget so AT LEAST half of all the money I brought home could be put into the hotrod or tools. The mustang and most of my tools lived at my mom's house 100 miles away, and I lived in a cheap apartment close to where I went to college and later worked. I traveled from there to work on stuff on the weekends. This budget went on from the time I was 15 (when I first bought the mustang), right up until I bought a nice 10 acre piece of property five years ago... which will be paid off (huge payments) in November. The mustang and tools are STILL at her house (now less than an hour away since I moved two years ago) and will have to stay there until I get a house built on my land.

Most people can't drive around in a new car wearing expensive clothes, and live in expensive housing with all the toys... AND have a nice hotrod. I don't even own a home stereo, let alone buy CD's or tapes. Never have.

You've just got to have your priorities.

As far as work schedules are concerned, you can either have the time OR the money... not many people get to have both!

DO NOT GET BURIED IN CREDIT CARD DEBT!!! Champagne tastes with a beer budget won't last forever...

Good Luck!
http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/healey/367

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: n2omike on 5/18/02 3:06am ]</font>

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good reading guyz
thanks

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Back before I bought the ranger and tow dolly, I would make the 3 hour drive to the track with the slicks in the back seat and tools in the trunk. Upon arriving at the track, I would swap out the 'everyday' gears (which were 3.25's since it was my only car) and install whatever dragrace gear I had and race. After the racing was over (it was usually the Labor Day Ford race at Columbus, OH which lasted the whole weekend) I would switch back to the 3.25's and drive home.

There were a number of times drivetrain parts would break, and I would have to get it towed to the nearest truck stop with a strap, so it could be left overnight while I went home for repair parts. This is when I found the limits of 28 spline axles and 2-pinion traction locks when launched WFO with slicks.

I was 'plum ate up' with racing, and that once or twice a year I made it to the strip, it was run like it was a stolen rental! WFO launches at redline... even though it was my only car!

Dad would just shake his head, and I would have to bum rides back and forth to college while the mustang underwent 'upgrades' and overhauls.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Concern yourself with "WHAT" you are doing, not so much with "HOW" you are doing.

If you are able to go through each and every moment of every day with that in mind ... You will eventually be looking around yourself and realize things are looking pretty good.

Focusing on "WHAT" you are doing is healthy and productive ...

Focusing on "HOW" you are doing is unhealthy and can become destructive ... exception would be if quick glimpses of "HOW" you are doing is motivation to get the focus back on "WHAT" you are doing

This has been one of my lifes theories and it has (for better or for worse) helped me get to where I'm at.

Time is all you've really got ... use it wisely, everything else in your life is derived from your use of time.

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 5/18/02 5:23am ]</font>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts