Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mr. Cook,

If you are available from May 16 thru 19, it would be a great pleasure to see the Battle Star at the World Ford Challenge. It is held at the Gateway International Raceway.

There are two classes you might be interested in: Open Comp, which is open to all Ford powered Ford cars which run 9.10 or slower. Wild street which is open to all street driven cars. License, regestration and insurance are required for Wild Street. The Wild Street cars are taken on a 30 mile drive, returned to the track where they are given a short time to cool down. You can not touch the engine or even raise the hood. You can change tires from street to slicks.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
No doubt Greg Cook will have to enter Wild Street. Too bad all the good shootouts are east of the Mississippi.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
I have seen the "Wild Street" class races at Route 66 and Gateway in the past years.

Its a real "street car" class with the rules they have set up for it.

In 2000 I was at the World Ford Challenge and was watching the "wild street" cars going through the heats after thier run on the streets around the town.

Well,it was about 2 hours of mostly 5 liter Mustangs mixed in with some early Ford stuff.

Almost all the cars were running 10-11 second 1/4 miles,a few went in the high 9s!

But then there was this black Fox Mustang GT that looked like all the other cars did for the most part,but he laid down a friggin 8.25!!!!!!!!!!

The crowd went wild and almost missd his ET having been bored to death by all the much slower cars in front of his 8.25 run!

I knew when that car left the lights that is was going to really lay down a wicked ET,I was right!

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
It's awesome anywhere, period!

Huh huh, I said "period" Hmm Hmm

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Hell ya!

Gregs car would be a real welcome site into "Wild Street" racing.

The World Ford Challenges that I have been to have been totally 5-liter Mustang dominated,not many old cars running?

The "Wild Street" class cars have to take thier road trip through the city to make them legal to run the class,and after they get back to the track they put them through the rounds as quick as possible.

So like I said before,once the "Wild Street" rounds start they can go on for hours,mostly late model 5-liters with an occasional old car thrown in.

Good racing,but from what I have seen not many old cars show up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mr. Cook.

I just received my rule book for the WFC. I read the section for the Wild Street class. The radial tires you mentioned are to be used on the 30 mile drive. Upon completion of the 30 mile drive, you can change tires and add fuel. Nothing more can be done to the car until three qualifing runs are made.

See you in St. Louis May 16-19.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Looks like the Cookster can still play. I can here him now..... "Here Mustang Mustang Mustang". Go get 'em Greg!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Hey Kent! That's what you get for moving to the crappy desert! Gateway is a close drive from here! I just want to know when these idiots are going to get off their 5 litre ass & let some race cars in there! My chassis car doesn't fit into any"class". They need an outlaw street class.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts