Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can i use to strip the fiberglass interior pieces of my car? Its a 66 Mustang Fastback and i redoing the interior and want everything to be stripped and painted 1 color and i want to strip it cause it has multiple coats of paint on it. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
You might also check your local marina or airport. I have some stripper in the garage (sorry, no label) for stipping gelcoat off of boats, and it works great. But, like Greg said, the texture thing may create havic but maybe a firm toothbrush (newer the better, just don't use it again)could reach in the cracks.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
I have used the Captain Lee's Stripper, I bought some a few years ago at the Pate Swap meet. It is truely awesome stuff.. One of the demo things they did with it there was show that it would strip a Coke can of it's paint and as far as I know it will not harm 'glass at all.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes they are also grained

·
Registered
739 Posts
Are those interior pieces fiberglass or a molded petro-chemical plastic? And would that make a difference as to whether the stripper attacks it?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I stripped numerous layers of paint from the entire set of fiberglas panels installed in the 66 Fastback using Mar-Hyde stripper from Advance Auto Parts. Since my original panels were unuseable, the panels I stripped came from a variety of cars; and were purchased over many years of flea market shopping. The worst ones were the large side panels (with embossed grain) as they were completely covered in some kind of purple metalflake paint. Anyway, I applied the remover and almost immediately rubbed the panel with a scrubbing brush (not a wire brush) and washed it off with soapy water. Obviously, this took off only a small amount of surface paint. So, I repeated the process.... apply some remover and almost immediately scrub it off and rinse. Eventually, all the offending paint was gone and the panel was left with it's grain intact. The idea was to keep the remover from eating the fiberglass by not letting it stay on the surface too long. After painting the panels in Krylon #1613 and installing them, the black interior looks factory fresh.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help. Thats alot to do....i might just let it be and paint it. But thanks for all yalls help

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is Flatterner?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts