Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

grinding in second

885 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Nastystang 
#1 ·
i'm hearing a grinding noise that is very brief when i shift from first to second and it's only when i run the car hard. under normal conditions it shifts great also no noise through any other shifts the trans is a t-5 in my 86 lx 5.0 the trans has all new synchros and new gears i bought it with a broken shift fork and had it rebuilt. i have been to the track several times now and have had no problems but i'm not sure if the noise is something to be concerned with also was wondering about clutch adjustment it grabs about 3" from the floor. one more thing it seems to happen more when the eng/trans is cold.

See less See more
#2 ·
That sounds like the 1st/2nd gear slider. If you have missed the 1-2 shift that will happen, the edges of the slider gets dammaged then cause the shifter handel to rattle when makeing the shift because the rough edges prevent the shift from being made smoothly. Thats how it was explained to me when I had to have the 1/2 and the 3/4 sliders replaced in my T-5Z. To many missed shifts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.