Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the GT/CS quarter caps and deck lid on. The caps require quite abit of sanding and forming to fit. Great product though from Fiberglass Specialties.
Two areas I need advice, and help
Quarter Caps, I can backfill the mateing edges of the cap and do what I call the bolt and smash, pushing the filler out of the cracks to make a perfect mate of the two parts. OR, I can bolt, then bond the caps to the car, filling the seams. What do you think. My concern with filling and making it seamless, the car will be getting launched and I am worried about cracking these seams with all the torsional abuse.

Second, how do you adjust a deck lid. I can get it perfect, go to cinch up the bolts, and its off. I dont have the torsion bars on due to the glass deck lid.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would sand and form then and go buy the rubber seals that some companies sell for the rear caps.
That way you can have nice paint edges and not worry about bondo chipping since there is going to be a lot of body flex from the hard launches...
I got the rear cap replacement gaskets, can make em work but they fitn in a channel on the orig piece which isnt present on the replacements. Very edgy and hollow pieces.
I can probably rig something though. But yeah my worry, chipping the edges. Making it solid, glassing the whole thing as one may eliminate that, but any seam can crack?

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I got the rear cap replacement gaskets, can make em work but they fitn in a channel on the orig piece which isnt present on the replacements. Very edgy and hollow pieces.
I can probably rig something though. But yeah my worry, chipping the edges. Making it solid, glassing the whole thing as one may eliminate that, but any seam can crack?
They are dissimilar materials and I would probably keep them separate to prevent cracking on the seam. The original gaskets would probably be too much work to fit, although you could build the caps up on the inside with fiberglass mat and then glue some other type of rubber support there. The cap only needs to be held away from the quarter by a small amount.

With stock stuff 65' caps that did not come with the gasket provision, I have stacked a couple of washers on the studs before installation in order to keep the cap away from the quarter.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
although you could build the caps up on the inside with fiberglass mat and then glue some other type of rubber support there. The cap only needs to be held away from the quarter by a small amount.

With stock stuff 65' caps that did not come with the gasket provision, I have stacked a couple of washers on the studs before installation in order to keep the cap away from the quarter.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dennis, hadnt thought of the shims or washers. I sweating the alignment and gaps. The guy who makes this stuff at Fiberglass Specialties, is a great dude, he asked me had I really looked at the originals.

So I googled GT/CS and up popped a bunch of images, my god, i dont think Ford/Shelby worried about alignment and gaps either.

I was already going to build a ledge or face on the inside anyway so I can mate the cap and qtr panel surface, so I can probably cut a gasket as well. I like the washers though, EASY.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts