Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
They used the EXACT SAME transmissions (nothing special or different except the ID Tag) as the regular production Mustangs had. Specifically the GT350 used small diameter Close Ratio Ford Toploaders and, I am not sure, possibly T10's in the early 65'. The Toploader was the stronger choice.

Ebay has a good selection of them all the time. Parts are readily available from places like www.toploaderheaven.com

65' Stang

393W Stroker, Wide Toploader 4 Spd, 9" 3:70 Posi

Victor Jr. Heads, Stealth Intake, 750dp, 236/561 Solid Cam, 9.6CR, 1 3/4" Headers, Lakewood, Subframes, Caltracs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dennis111 on 6/26/06 6:26pm ]</font>

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I believe they cam with
"Close-ratio aluminum Borg Warner T-10M four-speed with steep, 3.89:1-geared Detroit Locker differential"

My father owned the first one imported into the Northeast, purchased from Tasca Ford. He still has the specs, I can check with him to see for sure.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Yeah, I was pretty sure the early ones were T10.

David Kee lists this close ratio toploader as being used from Oct 64 in the regular and K code: HEH-BX

Of course other may have been used too.

65' Stang

393W Stroker, Wide Toploader 4 Spd, 9" 3:70 Posi

Victor Jr. Heads, Stealth Intake, 750dp, 236/561 Solid Cam, 9.6CR, 1 3/4" Headers, Lakewood, Subframes, Caltracs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dennis111 on 6/26/06 11:19pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks, see i have a c4 floor hole the previous owner cut and i was thinking t5, then i was thinking tko500 or even 600.

but now i am thinking going oldschool, do you think i will have to kut the hole differently for either choice?

i just spoke with the toploader guy and he says the t10 pops out of gear alot and is hard to remedy.
so i think i want the toploader or tko..

so i am looking for opinions on which to get and which is easier to fix, install, cheaper, handle most hp, lightest, ease of finding parts etc.

this will be for road racing.
thanks alot

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
You can use the stock C4 hole with either the T10 or the Toploader if you install the proper shifter. Get either a stock one (generally sucks) or a Hurst Competition Plus and you will have no issues with the stock hole.

The toploader, although quite heavy, is the better of the 2 transmissions. They have great aftermarket support for parts and the transmissions themselves are fairly common for something that hasn't been built in over 30 years. Virtually every part is available new for them.

The Toploader was available in both a 2.32 (close ratio) or a 2.78 (wide ratio) 1st gear. You shouldn't have any problems matching one of thos to a road racer.

The Toploader can handle gobs of HP and was used behind all performance Ford engines in the late 60's and early 70's--slightly beefed up versions (with larger input and output shafts, but the same gears) were used behind the 428CJ and even the Boss 429.

A word of caution--in the mid to late 70's there was a toploader that had an overdrive in 4th gear. These are not performance oriented and the overdrive gear is quite puny. Avoid these for high performance applications.

Want to know more about toploaders? Surf here and enjoy: http://www.4speedtoploaders.com/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts