Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Is this wear considered excessive? Does this wear look normal, or is this the result of some previous owner putting the wrong starter on the car for a period of time? When last it ran, the starter made no grinding noises when starting the engine.

The picture shows the main area of wear on the flexplate, 12 teeth, ranging from 10% wear on the ends to about 40% wear for the three teeth in the middle. Oreilly's has a Pioneer brand flexplate for $50, but my concern is I might be better off trying to get 365 more starts out of this worn American-made flexplate, rather than putting in a cheap Chinese flexplate.

Is there a "sweet spot" for flexplates, maybe something made in the USA, that stores actually have in stock, that isn't made for racing, and doesn't cost $300? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
That is borderline for my comfort zone.
Personally I'd replace it.

Don't know what's out there for decent flexplates.
I have not needed one for a long time....

·
Registered
773 Posts
That is borderline for my comfort zone.
Personally I'd replace it.

Don't know what's out there for decent flexplates.
I have not needed one for a long time....
That and the starter. Old starter will chew the new flexplate up. Pioneer my not be the best of the best, but anything is better then that one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i found that pioneer listed a heavy duty one for my 289 and got it as a replacement and it looks like a quality part to me

·
Registered
773 Posts
i found that pioneer listed a heavy duty one for my 289 and got it as a replacement and it looks like a quality part to me
Big difference. Try CJ Pony and some of the Mustang parts people. For standard street use, Pioneer is good stuff. Wouldn't go racing to much with it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
that could be and most likely the previous owner had too much advance, and when they tried to start it would fire and come to a stop and the starter keeps going that's what happens, and that's what it looks like, my 545 blower car did that very thing to two flex plates, I had just too much motor to start normally I had to put the coil on a toggle and wait till the motor was spinning good and flip the switch never have tore one up since

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Big difference. Try CJ Pony and some of the Mustang parts people. For standard street use, Pioneer is good stuff. Wouldn't go racing to much with it.
that could be and most likely the previous owner had too much advance, and when they tried to start it would fire and come to a stop and the starter keeps going that's what happens, and that's what it looks like, my 545 blower car did that very thing to two flex plates, I had just too much motor to start normally I had to put the coil on a toggle and wait till the motor was spinning good and flip the switch never have tore one up since
Update...I went with the Pioneer, it looked and "felt" close enough to the removed flexplate, that it didn't cause me concern. It actually appears overwelded compared to the Ford, with the welds sticking out a little bit more, hopefully they won't rub on anything. If they do, I figured I could just grind them down a little bit. Good to know about that timing/flexplate issue. When I reset the timing, I'm planning on going with basic/stock settings.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update...I went with the Pioneer, it looked and "felt" close enough to the removed flexplate, that it didn't cause me concern. It actually appears overwelded compared to the Ford, with the welds sticking out a little bit more, hopefully they won't rub on anything. If they do, I figured I could just grind them down a little bit. Good to know about that timing/flexplate issue. When I reset the timing, I'm planning on going with basic/stock settings.
Update...Here are pictures of the old Ford, and new Pioneer/Mexico/China flexplate. The Ford had 10 spot welds, the Pioneer has 12 bead welds. Overkill, weight balancing? I used a micrometer and the Ford gear ring was .385/1000ths thick, and the top of the highest weld was .420, so it stands .035 thousands above.

The Pioneer gear ring was .395 thick, and the top of the highest weld was .495, so 100/1000ths, or 1/10th of an inch above, will this be a problem and rub or hit something?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts