Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to someone, about the GT40, and I started to look at the specs, and I'm ok with physics and whatnot, and I know that torque and horsepower tie at 5252 RPMs. Well The GT40 makes Peak Horsepower at 5250 RPMs, basically, thats 5252. Now, Peak torque is made at 3250, of 500 lb-ft. So, torque at 5252 is VERY close to 500. So, there is a solid band between 3250 RPMs, and 5250 RPMs, of 500 lb-ft of torque. Am I getting all excited for no reason? Or is that right? A practically Horizontal Torque band of 500 lb-ft across 2000 RPMs!!

Its almost too good to be true, before I start jumping up and down, and handcuffing myself to cars at the dealership, someone tell me if I got the math all right?

-Dave

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Yep, I got those figures too. I thought about it a while back. I doubt that any engine makes a flat power band. So, Ford mabye underrating it. Or they haven't put an engine on a dyno yet. I would like to have one, but I think the pavements would be like 5k a month.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I actually saw the GT40 at the Detroit International Auto Show. Pictures DO NOT do the car justice. They had the yellow/black unit on display, with a white/blue unit mounted vertically on a wall so that you could see the engine better!
The car had a welded, tubular aluminum frame, aluminum suspension parts with adjustable coil-overs, and the list goes on. The engine was oh-so-sweet. The roots-blown 5.4 with the wild headers caused me to drool all over the carpet.
I was on business in Pontiac earlier that day, at the GM Proving Grounds. I was sick of being around that Generic Motors junk all day, so I decided to expose myself to some real cars at the Auto Show.
Ford had other killer displays, too. A few Saleen's, the Tonka truck, and all of the new SUV's. Besides the GT40, the coolest vehicle had to be the new Harley Davidson F150. The truck has a 340 hp supercharged 5.4, which is essentially a toned-down Lightning engine. Four doors, captain seats and a top speed of 140 mph. Oh yeah, you can get a matching Harley-powered Buell to match the truck.
If you ever get the chance, you need to go!

·
Registered
977 Posts
It is a foot and a half longer, and 8" taller (48&quot
, By the way, if you guys didn't know it the "40" in GT40 referred to the car's height of 40 inches.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
actually..... Height: 43.5 in (1106 mm)

"nearly 4 inches taller than the original" as the article somewhere I read told. I reallllllly need to see one!!! Still looking for that pair of handcuffs.... My friend and I were also wondering, where the heck do the doors open from? Theres no handle, and I cant really imagine it being electronic.
One more thing, anyone know how many are gonna be put on the market for 2003?

·
Registered
17 Posts
as i was talking with dave---^ i figuredthe handles must be the little silvery things in front of the doors...so unless they did some sort of funky mechanical move and you pull that to make the doors open in the back like regular dorrs...it would have to be suicide doors or wing-style...which would explain why the door frame goes up almost to the middle of the roof. but then theres the intake on the back that looks like it goes over the door...can anyone shed some lioght on this? i'm leaning the furthest towardthe wing doors...it wouldn't surpise me if they did something impossible
... this car will definately have plenty of surprises in store for us and doors that lift up are just cool
. something else to set the car farther apart apart from 110% of the cars out there now..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.