Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Guide Plate / Roller Tip Setup

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  RPM 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a surefire trick for setting up guideplates quickly. Im installing my new AFR165s, and have never had plates before.

Ive tried to get a couple aligned but am still concerned.

I snug the rocker stud so the plate can move a bit. Install the pushrod and rocker. Set zero lash preload for my hyd. cam. Rotate the engine to completely open respective valves (while watching tip travel) and adjust plate accordingly. Carefully remove arm and tighten plate. A real time consuming process.

It looks like the roller tips rest close to the valve tip center, but it can swivel back and forth a bit appearing as if the arm itself could wear on the valve tip at the furthest deviations from rest.

There is a slight wear pattern on the new valve stem tip where the roller tip contacts. Is this the best indicator of the actual geometry. Most appear dead center, a couple are leaning towards the lifter valley, a couple are not parallel to the long axis of the engine (in need of guideplate alignment still)

#2 ·
This may sound crude and barbaric, but a hammer and brass punch helps a lot. Snug the studs down and then take the hammer and punch to tap the guide plate for final adjustment. Then recheck torque on stud and alingment of rocker.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.