Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how this happened! I was driving to school this morning, parked, and noticed a steady drip under my car from the back of the motor. At first, thought it was oil, but no, it's coolant. I was late for class, so when I came home, popped the hood, and at the back passenger side, the top of the intake gasket is spurting coolant, and it leaks more the more rpm. Tried tightening down the manifold bolts, but they're still tight. One other thing, the radiator and cap aren't hot at all. Could something have come loose and is blocking the water passages? That's the only thing I can think of. How can I fix it? I haven't done any engine work in a long time, and replaced the intake gaskets almost two years ago. I did add redline water wetter about a week ago. Could it have broken something loose?

Also, that grinding sound I was hearing was nothing more than a broken exhaust hanger rubbing against the pipe at certain rpms.

Rice is only good for one thing...
...but I can't think of it

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thecougarguy on 4/18/02 2:46am ]</font>

·
Registered
237 Posts
i would suggest not driving the car until you fix it for fear of coolant in the oil. i would replace the intake manifold gaskets and then change the oil.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, but I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to figure out if there's an obstruction in the coolant passages, and if there is, how to get it out. When I took off the radiator cap after driving back home, there was zero pressure under the cap, it all went out of the hole in the gasket, though the engine didn't feel any warmer than usual. I don't want to go through the hassle of changing the gasket, only to have it blow again in a week.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It isn't my freeze plug. I saw the coolant coming out of the top of the intake gasket.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well at the risk of looking stupid here,your gonna have to remove the head to replace that head gasket any way.When you do that check the water jackets at that time in both the cylinder and the heads maybe you'll see some then.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Start off with the easy stuff. Have you tested the thermostat? Put it in a pot of boiling water with a candy thermometer, to see when it opens and closes.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hope you didn't break the mainfold by torquing the bolts too much. Since you have to take the intake off no matter what just to check the condition of the gasket, I'd just start there. I suspect it's the gasket anyway.

One thing I have noticed about these intakes is that once you get done with all of the bolts, the first couple you have put in are no longer tight from the gasket compression from all of hte other bolts. I always go around the manifold 3 or more times truing up the torque until the bolts stop "loosening up". Since I started doing this, I have had better luck with vacuum leaks and water leaks.

Hope this helps and that you don't have anythig broken.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry about the freeze plug advice. It would have helped if I got past your first few sentences and noticed that you said it was coming from the intake...consider it a mini-senior moment.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't worry about it. Any input is appreciated. As far as the freeze plugs, they were replaced about the same time (2 years ago) when I had a valve job done. Will check the thermostat, though.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Probably not an obstruction since it's not overheating. When you are done changing the intake gaskets you should backflush everything anyway. Make sure you use RTV when you install the intake gaskets and torque them in the proper pattern/torques. If you used the end gaskets last time, you might find it easier to just use RTV to seal them. Just keep everything clean, lay some aluminum foil down on lifter valley when you clean the surfaces up.

You might also want to check the port matching of your intake and heads (just look at the where your old gaskets were seating). If you had the heads resurfaced and didn't shave the intake it might be sitting a little off and could cause early "blowout" not including lost performance.

Sounds like you have a good saturday project!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
hey cougarguy,
hope you dont mind, but I took the liberty of adding the pic of your car, to the "yourcars" gallery. check it out

later

1 - 12 of 12 Posts