Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a 63.5 which was a factory T-10 car. I’m assuming the T-10 in it is the original one.
I am trying to get my Speedo working and I’m getting no where and burning time and money.
I have bought a couple of new gears both left and right hand gears and neither work. They are the right number of teeth (16 - 3.00:1) but no matter what I do, they will not turn the cable.
with the wheels elevated and the car running in gear - I remove the cable from the Speedo and it vibrates but no turning. If I try to turn it by hand the.cable wants to turn (requires very little pressure and catches sometimes for a 1/4 turn) but will not work reliably.
the gear inside the tail shaft housing looks ok, the gears are new but no dice.
here’s the fitting for the T-10:
Here’s the inside of the tail shaft housing:

please tell me what I’m doing wrong??

·
Premium Member
5,601 Posts
One end turns but the other end doesn't?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, the cable is great. Had the inner out and checked it. Perfect. When the cable is in the t-10 engine off, can’t turn Speedo end. Start car, in gear, wheels spin, Speedo end of cable isn’t spinning but can turn with fingers freely, occasionally will move itself 1/4-1/2 turn, but other than vibrating it does nothing. Put Speedo end back in and remove other end, spin with fingers and needle moves. The output shaft will not turn cable and I have no idea why.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Jiffy,

The drive gear inside the trans looks good in the photo but you can't really tell by looking at them. It's possible the gear teeth are worn off and are not meshing with the driven gear. I had a similar situation on the 3 speed I took out of my '65.

- John

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmm, I have another T-10 on the shelf, I'll take a photo of that gearbox and see how the view compares...
Thanks John

·
Registered
494 Posts
not very hard to remove the extension housing. maybe someone left out the bearing that holds the gear from turning on the shaft

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point - I'm assuming that the T-10 used the same set-up as the Ford toploader?
I should be able to turn the gear on the shaft then through the hole in the side as it sits now - that would 'prove' it??

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This appears to be the top tip for now. Spoke to my gearbox guy and he said that the clip holding the drive gear onto the output shaft is likely broken.
I should be able to move the gear on the shaft with my finger
- I’ll try this shortly....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts