Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE 1987 FORD F250 4X4 460 WITH THE STOCK 2.5" DUAL EXHAUST THAT RUNS INTO THE SINGLE STOCK COFFEE CAN MUFFLER WITH A 3" SINGLE OUTLET BEHIND THE PASS. REAR TIRE. THIS IS MY TOW VEHICLE AND WOULD LIKE TO UPGRADE THE EXHAUST SYSTEM. WHICH WOULD YOU RECOMMEND: TYPICAL H DUAL, TYPICAL USING THE X STYLE, OR STAYING WITH WHAT I HAVE ONLY UPGRADING FROM THE MUFFLER BACK?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
yes, an x-pipe will help greatly. Also, it will make the big-block sound really, really mean

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yeah, I could have sworn last time we agreed on that X pipe was less backpressure, which means high end power, and H is more backpressure, which is more low end grunt... Right?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I also remember a discussion a few months back about the myth that more back pressure equals more low end grunt. I'm 99.99% sure I remember who on this forum said it was just a myth but I don't want to say his name in case I'm wrong. Anyway, I'd like to get n2omike to comment on this if he's around (and you other techs also)

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Less backpressure in this case is "relative". The guy has a single factory exhaust, for pete's sake. If he had any more he'd be suckin' a straw. Most tow vehicles are geared a little lower than pedestrian trucks. I feel an x pipe would put the torque right in the "sweet spot" on this particular vehicle.

·
Registered
407 Posts
What are the state req. related to exhaust mods? Here in Ca. you can only do cat back type of mods, and if you truck came with one cat you must only use one cat. So I would think that a well thought out answer to your question would assume nothing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You'll want to watch out the the transfer case on the truck, in most cases putting true dual is a challenge without routing it funny. I don't think you'll be able to get the x or H in place unless you custom fit, and that will take quite a bit out of the system. Try something like headers, and 3" to a double in double out muffler. That can be routed much easier and cheaper.

True twin can be run, but you'll have to watch any aggressive offroad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts