Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the dismal weather puke as of last week, I was 'jonesing' pretty bad for some racing.
So's I went to the little 1/8th mile track in Litchfield, Minnesota. (Grove Creek Raceway). Nice laidback family owned track.

Needless to say, THEY have traction, whereas Rock Falls, (slippery rock), does not.
Now, the weather was overcast, 40 degrees, and a tailwind, (blustery).
Best 60 foot (today), was a 1.455. ET was 6.500 @ 110 mph. (remember, it's 1/8 mile).

Anyway, I could've run as many runs as I wanted. Actually got bored after 6. (spoiled from Rock falls)........

Had a blast.......Got the wheels UP!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Sounds like you had a good time and blew off some steam. I'm going to Irwindale the local 1/8 mile track tomorrow.I didn't think I'd like the 1/8 but my short wheelbase car is a lot safer there and the track always hooks for some good 60fts.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I lied.......(actually I lost/misplaced the BEST timeslip of the day)....

Best today was: 6.477 @ 110.32 mph, with a 1.43 60 foot. Wheelied like hell!
This time I could actually feel/see the front end come up, and carry it quite a ways, (almost to 2nd gear)....... Gently the front end came down, and away we gooooooo!!!!!
I love it!!!!
I do miss the high speed/top end charge of the full 1/4 mile, tho!!!!!

As far as what it would have done in the 1/4, someone else is going to have to do the math on that one......I"m going to guess, maybe 10.15????????????????(guess)

·
Registered
777 Posts
I would guess between 10.15 and 10.20. My car with that same 1/8 et would have been in the mid 10.30s. The diferrence is you have alot more mph than I do. My car 3 weeks ago was running 6.46 - 6.48 but only @ 105 mph. Part of the reason for the et without as much mph (besides the fact you make more power than I do), is my car was running 1.37 -1.38 60' times.

Hopefully when I get mine back together, it will run right, and will be in the 6.30's again, up around 108 mph (thats where it ran alot last year) which then puts me down in that 10.15 area in the 1/4.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kid vishus on 5/6/02 12:06am ]</font>

·
Registered
169 Posts
10.20 in the 1/8th??? 'Psshawwww'

I ran a 9.7.
Dang, I thought your ride would be quicker than mine. Maybe someday you'll be competing with us big dogs...

J/K, calm down

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SawBones25 on 5/6/02 6:37am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Right on 79.

Feels good dont it, to get those first runs out of the system.

Sure wish I could be there to see you pull the tires off this wonderfull planet of ours.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, guys!
The first REAL runs, you mean. Remember, I took it out to (ugh), Slippery rock back in april, and pulled 132+ mph out of it (1/4 mile track), but absolutely NO traction, whatsoever, (explains the dismal 10.3 et)

The next 1/4 mile race, (at slippery rock), is a fun day on the 19th (I think), of May.
Being as it's another 'fun day', that again, means NO track prep, (i.e. NO TRACTION).
Probably go back to the 1/8 miler and play again, instead...........
No fun if you can't hang the hoops!!!!!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I made 5 practice runs and went out in the 2nd round of the trophy bracket at Irwindale's 1/8 mile track today. Ran a best of 7.48/90.6 with a 1.58 60ft which isn't a bad time for my 289 pump gas thru the mufflers Morris.Got about 6 inches of air on one run but every time the photgrapher is taking a pic the car only pulls the front tires an inch or two. One of these days I'll get a good pic.Still was a fun day. Beats mowing the lawn.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just Jim on 5/6/02 9:07am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Momma has all the shtuff that's supposed to be packed, packed. I only had to choose what 'else' to bring along, (i.e. magazines/pics/camera, etc, etc). "That's womans work".......
IN all honesty, I couldn't pack, let alone choose what to bring with to pack, to save my ass.
I am gonna s, s, & s pretty quick here, tho. Gotta get up at 4 am to go to the airport.........yippeeee skippeeee.

(hope to get lots of strange (female), boobies on film, (and anything else that falls into the cameras lens)......

Also hope there are some decent cars to look at while I"m away from my 'baby'....

·
Registered
777 Posts
On 2002-05-05 21:06, Just Jim wrote:
Got about 6 inches of air on one run but every time the photgrapher is taking a pic the car only pulls the front tires an inch or two. One of these days I'll get a good pic.
Could be the photographers fault too. Each car will pull the wheels different, and if he's not used to it, he wont know where to stand or how soon to click the picture when your car leaves. Our local photographer gets good pics of my car (wheels 8-10" up), but he sees it every week so he knows what it does. The IHRA photographer always gets the car with the wheels only about 2-3" off the ground, if he were to wait a split second longer the wheels would be higher, but he doesnt know that cuz he doesnt see it that much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts