Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the car for a decent ride today. Had to get on the hiway for a little while. 4:11's are low. Taching 3K is about 50-55mph. On the way back I had some issues. Car started bucking like you were turning the key on and off. At the time I was not sure what the issue was so I pulled over and checked all the fluids, etc. Everything seemed ok. Car started right back up and drove fine. ????? Seemed electrical. Maybe the MSD 6al box. Dont know.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Maybe the Falcon was confused what type of Ford it was and thought it was a Bronco. (ha).
Hope you figure it out.. I agree with FE probably electrical..

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had just filled up with fuel a few miles before. When I got home and shut the car down, I got alittle post ignition. Im leaning toward electrical. I want to change some things around anyway. I want to get rid of the "stock" alternator and get a 1 wire, and is there a way to get rid of the external voltage regulator? Any links to wiring diagrams? I want to make it simple.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
There are many articles on F.M. for the swap. Just remove the regulator and any unneeded wires. I used a Ford 3G, re-clocked it, swapped pulleys and installed it using the old mounts. Two wires to the starter solenoid( the heavy feed wire with a 125 amp Mega fuse inline) and one to the indicator light. I was able to find an original harness that fit the new alternator. I think it was from a Fox body Mustang. It's been on there five or six years.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I'm thinking maybe a bad ground somewhere in the ignition. That's where I would start. I did have a fuel pump go out once and it did that just before it died, but if it drove fine after that it's probably not the case here.

I bought my polished one wire alternator from Summit several years ago. One large wire from alt to solenoid, that's it. After running it for a year or more without issues I decided it was time to get rid of the other wires and the regulator.

As you've probably figured out by now I like to keep things simple. :tup:

John

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking maybe a bad ground somewhere in the ignition. That's where I would start. I did have a fuel pump go out once and it did that just before it died, but if it drove fine after that it's probably not the case here.

I bought my polished one wire alternator from Summit several years ago. One large wire from alt to solenoid, that's it. After running it for a year or more without issues I decided it was time to get rid of the other wires and the regulator.

As you've probably figured out by now I like to keep things simple. :tup:

John
Did you use a certain wiring diagram, or did you just know what to do? If you used a diagram can you share it?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
It was about three years ago so my memory is a little fuzzy. I recall that all I did was unplug the wiring harness from it and remove the regulator. The wires ran down the sides and along the front under the radiator I think. That entire bundle I seem to remember came out together. I don't recall cutting anything.

As far as the new installation goes it's just one short wire (pretty heavy guage) from the alternator to the soleniod so no diagram necessary.

John

·
Registered
289 Posts
Once you install the alternator, you can remove the voltage regulator for that clean look. I left the voltage regulator where it is for that stock look- but, I think it's also that innate feeling that if my 1 wire set up fails, I can just bolt the old one back.

There's nothing to cut during the install. Just remove the old alternator and the wire harness. Put your new 1 wire alternator in and mount the wire to the solenoid. To be safe-install a mega fuse.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. Definitely gonna do this

1 - 12 of 12 Posts