Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this but since many car people are also into guns I thought I'd throw this out there. I'm considering the purchase of a new hand gun for my small-ish collection. I've got it narrowed down to two right now but would be willing to add more to the short list.

SigSauer SP2022 in 9mm or Glock 19 (or maybe 17) also in 9mm.

I've never shot either one but did have some hands on time with a Sig P226 a few years ago and thought it felt very nice so that's just one reason the Sig made my list. Obviously the Glock name stands on it's own as well.

Thoughts?

John

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Since you are trying guns out, I would try out the Browning Hi Power and the Springfield XD with those you listed. A lot of it has to do with how your hand fits the gun or vice versa. The Sig is supposed to be a really good gun. I just don't care for the Glocks. They don't seem to feel right in my hand for some reason.

I have the old tried and true 92.

All my hand guns except my Ruger Mark 3 have a hammer. That is also part of why I don't like the Glocks.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
All my hand guns except my Ruger Mark 3 have a hammer. That is also part of why I don't like the Glocks.
AMEN!! Cocked and Locked I say...

Hadnt heard of the Sig 2022, but by what I've seen thru a google foray, looks to be a decent enough weapon. Sigs have traditionally been known for quality...

·
Premium Member
5,597 Posts
I got a .38 because it felt good in my hand. However, it turns out A.) I am a crappy shot and B.) the damn gun only has five bullets! Bad combination!

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I have a Springfield 1911 and a Glock 27 .40. Both shoot great. The Glock trigger is a little odd at first.

No complaints with either.

My Dad swears by a .38 revolver.

Jet

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually haven't shot the Glock either but when I handled one it felt kinda cheap. I know that's not the case and many, many people and LEO's love them but as was already said, it's also about personal feel. I currently have two other 9mm's a Ruger P89 and an old CZ. Both are good guns but I just don't like the trigger action of the Ruger and the CZ is more of an antique (Model 52/53). A local gunsmith said the Ruger's trigger can't be helped much so that's the reason I'm looking again.

I love the look and feel of the Sig. It's one of their new models and is similar to the P226 I believe. Anyways, thanks for your feedback and I'll keep looking for more! :tup:

John

·
Premium Member
5,597 Posts
38 is a great old gun. It was used for decades by police, fbi and other agencies.

Though I am a crappy shot, I still like my .38 (Ruger SP101). I can always get a laser pointer for it. I did not want an automatic because in a perp siuation I would have to think too much: Is there a round in the chamber? Is the safety on or off? Will the thing fail to feed or extract? What is my plan if there is an ammo misfire? Can my wife, if need be, figure it out? Too many questions!

OTOH, a revolver is just: 1.) point, 2.) pull the trigger. My only regret is I got a snub nose, which takes too much velocity off the table. There is no advantage to them, IMO. If you are going to carry something, it should be Mace!

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
One more thing to think about, are you going to leave the gun loaded for self defence? if so I would go with a revolver over a auto.....if the auto sits loaded for a long time it could weaken the spring in the clip and miss fire, the revolver will shoot everytime.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One more thing to think about, are you going to leave the gun loaded for self defence? if so I would go with a revolver over a auto.....if the auto sits loaded for a long time it could weaken the spring in the clip and miss fire, the revolver will shoot everytime.
Not really for home defense, just another for my collection. I'm not into revolvers, don't own one. I've got several autos and I almost always leave the mags loaded just in case I need them. I've never had a failure, misfire, etc. with any of them so that isn't really a concern. Besides, I'll take a weapon that holds 10 (or more) over one that holds 6 anyday. I'm not a bad shot I'd just rather not have to reload as much! ;) I'm really more of a target guy than anything else.

John

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I like to shoot and several rifles and more hand guns. I have both semi auto and revolvers. I bought each one for some reason. I bought a 9mm and while is shot good it felt weak to my hand ( I am 6/2 and over 300lbs) It was very accurate but just did not do any thing for me so I gave it to my son who is yet to fire it. My 44 Magnum Ruger is my favorite pistol to shoot but I would not want to HAVE to reload under fire. One bullet at a time take too ling. My brother in law has a Glock 45 and I have a 1911. We both tried each others gun and he could not pull the trigger on mine and I though his felt funny. That was 10 years ago and did not shoot another till a friend joined a department and bought a Glock 40. I told him I did not want to shoot it but he made me ( he is 5 foot nothing and weighs about 130 lbs). I took my time and after I got used to it I liked it. I guess what I am saying. buy what you want and fits you hand and your purpose. It may not be the same as any one else. IMHO

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
Gary is right. Shoot 30 or 50 rounds through EVERY gun you can get your hands on , then make your choice.

Shooting is by far the best time a guy can have short of a date with a favor or two... So take advantage of it.

And if you're a good shootist, like I claim to me, then 6 is FAR MORE than you will ever need in any gun battle. True gun battles rarely last more than a few seconds.

The local shootings are one guy just blasting away at people. One bullet is all that's needed to make someone like that stop.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I like the Tarus Judge. Great shooting gun with versatility

Also the S&W 357 mag, using the 38 spec for targets.
Ruger 44 mag when the situation warrants. These guns fit my big paws much better than the semi's. The Glocks are probably the most desirable. 9mm are the cheapest to shoot now-a-days.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts