Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a set of these cheap. There are sets that are really expensive but I didn't see the need to spend over 100 bucks when I can get them for 25. They are telescoping mic's. They work great for gauging your porting from one hole to the next to ensure they are all consistent.

The one I have out at the bottom telescopes from 1 1/4 to 2 1/8th inches and will be the most handy although some of the others might be used for depth checking.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just got a set of these cheap. There are sets that are really expensive but I didn't see the need to spend over 100 bucks when I can get them for 25. They are telescoping mic's. They work great for gauging your porting from one hole to the next to ensure they are all consistent.

The one I have out at the bottom telescopes from 1 1/4 to 2 1/8th inches and will be the most handy although some of the others might be used for depth checking.
Where did you get them?

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
I got a set from Harbor Freight for $15.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Also known as 'snap gauges'. Except for specific point-to-point measurements like your variable-width port, there is a swiping technique to get accurate results with other inside dimensions, like MC bores, valve spring heights, etc. Simple but effective tools that I use a lot. BTW - these should not be confused with fixed-dimension GO/NO GO gauges, that are often called snap gauges because they are a snap to use.

David

·
Registered
43 Posts
FWIW "Telescoping Gages" is the proper name for these tools. Some call them snap gages but they should NEVER be snapped as this will damage them. They are classified as a transfer gage. They are used to gage the inside of a bore then are measured with an outside micrometer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts