Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1973 mustang grande with a 351 cleveland in it.
When it get hot and I shut it off and try to restart it it turn over very slow and barely starts it sounds like the battry is almost dead!!! any ideas?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Start out simple. Check timing. Alot of times it's too high and it won't start when hot. Check battery and starter connections. I have had bad ones many times do this. If not, do a load test on the battery. If that passes, it's probably the starter getting bad.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I agree with jasonn......when it cranks slow, pull the coil wire out from the distributor and ground it. Then if it cranks faster you know you have a timing related problem and can address that. If it still cranks slow then check out your connections at the cables and battery. Pay close attention to the grounds especially at the block. Do a voltage drop test with a meter at each connection.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Listen to Jasonn, the Ford is strong with this one, his midicloreon levels are astounding!

FE

·
Registered
317 Posts
Standard cleavland problem, I have seen it on my own and several others. The starter is heat soaked. When it cools off it starts great. I had a 70 Torino GT that would do it every time. You could put jumper cables on it and it would act the same till it cooled off.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Fabricate an air duct that will direct cool air twards the starter.... Then add a heat shield...

FE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts