Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car seems to be hard to start in the morning. The rest of the day it starts, but it has to crank a couple of times.

If I go under the hood and open the elec choke, then it is a little easier to start. That means it needs more air, because it has a lot of fuel, right? There are quite a bit of vapors (white smoke) coming out of the carb too.

If anything it should be lean, because with all of the junk I just put on the motor (listed below), it should be getting a lot more air than before, so it would require more fuel?

I havent really touched anything on the ignition, it is set at about 12* initial.

The carb (Carter 625 AFB) sat on the workbench with fuel in it for 1 1/2 months while the motor was out of the car. Could that have messed it up?

Im going to pull it off the manifold tomorrow morning, to see if it is leaking a lot.

Any other ideas??

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Borrow a different carb that is known to work good.

How does it run otherwise? Strong or still needs tuned?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it crapped out on me after work
It had to happen on a uphill portion of a busy street. It was raining too. Got the flares out, and the cops waited with me till my buddy got there with his Jeep to tow me home. It was sputtering before it happened. Then going up the small hill it died.

Kent, I have been trying to get the linkage right so it will open the secondaries. It was damn close, and I was going to get it perfect this weekend. I was also going to get a Air/Fuel meter so I dont have to guess so much.

Oh, and a couple minutes before this happend it backfired through the exhaust. Sounded like a gunshot. What does it mean when it backfires the the exhaust? And what does it mean when it does it through the carb??

1964 Comet 289 C4 daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 2/1/02 5:48pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
My car was doing the old gunshot out the exhaust routine once. The floats were off and gas was dripping down the carb after shutoff. This could also be why it pooped out on a hill. I would start with the carb and work down. Since you just had her apart I wouldn't worry about the internals just yet. Did you get the dizzy in one tooth off? That would result in the carb burp and the other general crapiness you've been experiencing. Good luck man. I've got a cam to break in this weekend and will probably half to find another carb "tune" to go with it. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In talking to a friend, he tought it was the ignition. So i swapped it out peice by peice. Well, the damn thing runs with my stock coil, but not my MSD Blaster.

I think i was having mutiple problems at the same time. Or could the coil just have been getting really weak before it died?

The coil does make sense, because as I was going down the road, it got worse and worse, then it died. Most electrical stuff does that when it gets hotter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts