Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Harley-Davidson just unleashed its new Pro-Stock V-Rod drag race team for the 2002 racing season.

The team is made up of some of the best in the business,and it looks like they are out to make a statement for "American iron" in thier class?

Here is a link to a little video clip and info on the new team.

Ford ownes part the Harley-Davidson Drag Race effort,Im not sure what thier interest is in it though?

Ford & Harley.........is something is going on?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/RAC/DRAG/en/dragracing.asp?WebLogicSession=PG9IaGfHguUElE6LGwaF0o0k9kT6SOMMJPdCeWMONvj1WktaEt8q|5327735275130143047/181237784/6/7005/7005/7002/7002/7005/-1|-8669205115394765921/181237815/6/7005/7005/7002/7002/7005/-1&bmLocale=en_US

65 Falcon Sprint Super-Stock-White Lightning
66 Galaxie 500 390 4-V auto-future 4 or 5spd.
95 F-350 XLT Super-Cab DRW 460- Tow Vehical

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 2/17/02 1:26pm ]</font>

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Thanks Tom!

You are the greatest for inside info Bro!

With Ford in there for logistics, Vance and Hines for name association/expertise/promotional help and GT Tonglet for piloting the bike, it should be the recipe for a successful campaign!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I thought GT and his dad were going to race their updated Kawasaki 2 valver? Oh well. I wish them luck. Even with Byron spinning the wrenches that v-twin will be hard pressed to qualify. There's only so much ya can do with a buck stove with tires on it.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I imagine the Harley will get a lower weight limit on rider/machine combination than other engine designs are limited to as far as the rider/machine combinations for a more competitive campaign.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it will be a interesting season to watch?

I also think no matter how much money was in it for Vance & Hines they would not have taken the team on if they thought they didnt have a good shot to win?

Remember the V-Rod Harley motor is far from a standard Harley Air twin design,its got liquid cooled heads designed by Porsche for the engine.

I know there are guys who will say there is no way a V-Twin will hang with those Rice cycles at the races,well its kinda the same deal with Fords 1966 Le-Mans win where the 427 "dinosaur" motored Fords handed the "high tech" Ferraris their azz "on a plate".

I have faith in my Company!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Weather they win or not, V/H stands to make a ton of money from the street side of the fence. Lots of hop-up parts I'm sure. I bought a new Fatboy in 1992. It was a cool ride but something was missing. Even after the Branch heads and other goodies, it was boring to ride. I'm back to the ricers.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
The V-rod dragster is making its debut at the Gatornationals in March. Wouldve been going for free but I have to drive my dad down to Lauderdale for eye surgery.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I am more interested in seeing how it will do with the rice rockets considering the obvious aerodynamic disadvantage of the Harley.Oh well I guess that can be likened to the old McDonnell F-4 Phantom...aerodynamic as a brick but with enough thrust,even a brick can fly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts