Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, I have a Orbit 308-A cam. I was told its from the old NASCAR days, its new and never been ran. The Cam specs are huge, ill post the specifics soon. If anybody knows anything Id really appreciate it. I tried to GOOGLE it and nothing comes up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I know. Ive tried everything too. The 308-A is stamped on the side of the cam. I ended up taking it too speed shop and they put it on a cam doctor so Ill have the specs soon, they did call me and asked what I was going to put it in because it'll require a big stall (3500) and provide no vacuume. Hopefully someone will know.

·
Registered
260 Posts
you sure its a ford cam?

Hudson did a 308 straight 6 in the 50s. I believe that their cams said "308" on them.... and they were raced a fair amount.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the spped shop did say that it was cut for a FE. everything ines up right too. i did get the specs and ill post them tonight. its a big one!

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Old school rowdy cam

302 advertised, 254 @ .050, 108 LSA, however their lift is off, a solid lifter FE has 1.76 rockers, so its .586 lift

This is a big cam, it'd be rowdy and would require some compression to run and it'd sure want to rev

I ran a 300 adv [email protected] 108 duration with only .525 lift in my 427 before I stroked it. It did fine on the street but you need compression and you need to advance it to 104 ICL or so to make any low end at all

Its a bit less lobe than a Comp 306S, but the tighter LSA will make it more radical down low, I'd almost call it a wash in terms of drivability

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=948&sb=2

What are you thinking of doing with it, with the right setup I bet it'll make plenty of power

ON EDIT: Some quick calcs

If I ran this cam (and I certainly would use the cam if I was building a short gear 4 speed car) I'd install it on a 104 intake centerline, and assuming a nice tight quench, I'd run 11.25 compression for a 390 (for anything bigger you could come back a little, but not under 11.00)

Keep in mind that wouldn't make it mild, but in a 4 speed car with a good 11.5-12.0 compound 1st gear ratio, it'd run real strong

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honestly, i dont know what im going to do with it. ive thought about selling it but i cant seem to part with good parts. its not what i want for this car though, i want a good driveable street car. maybe ill build a stroked 390 and put it in a falcon or comet... something small and fun!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts