Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
aluminum disk? Or some other bolt on replacement for added strength?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I used a U joint I got off of Ebay on my old SVO. Made it steer like a go-kart. Much nicer than the rag joint.

I also had the later '86 SVO quick ratio rack, FWIW.

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
Have used the red nylon ones here as a replacement,haven't driven the car yet but should be a lot more direct than the rubber.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
I used alumunim. You feel every bump in the road, but it moves whenyou want it to and there's no play in the steering. Rubber is for a soft, smooth feel on the steering wheel for comfort.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have replaced the old rag joint with a borgenson u-joint. It is on a 1964 T-BOLT clone. Would you be interested on how I did it?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
too solid and you may be looking at a safety issue, i had a friend break his joint and had no steering...so be careful

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
You can get a polyurethane disk that replaces the stock rubber. It is a lot stiffer and gives better feel, but takes some of the vibration out of it.

I had an extra one here somewhere, but I think it was misplaced in a recent move.

Still, they're like 7 bucks or so, cheaper than a U-joint and require no guessing if you can get it to work or fit right.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-07-05 08:31, thekingofazle wrote:
You can get a polyurethane disk that replaces the stock rubber. It is a lot stiffer and gives better feel, but takes some of the vibration out of it.

I had an extra one here somewhere, but I think it was misplaced in a recent move.

Still, they're like 7 bucks or so, cheaper than a U-joint and require no guessing if you can get it to work or fit right.
Thats the one I would go with if ours needed replacment!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is on a power steering box and I take off the ps belt when I race the car. I have played with alighnment and have determined that the belt will just not stay on at 7000/7200 RPM.

I have been taking the belt off when I race but I have destroyed two rag joints. I have been looking at the borgeson joints but do not want to weld or drill anything, if there is a spline to spline direct bolt in I will go that rought. But if the red polyurathane rag is tougher maybe I should go that way.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On 2006-07-05 07:05, KIPK wrote:
I have replaced the old rag joint with a borgenson u-joint. It is on a 1964 T-BOLT clone. Would you be interested on how I did it?
YES do tell!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I ran into a problem changing my 84 t-bird power steering rack to a manual rack. The rag joint for the manual rack was missing so I could not install as the spline on the manual rack is smaller than tha power rack. I could not find a reasonably priced replacement so I'll have to go back to the junkyard and try to find one that works.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts