Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
I haven't done it but design-wise it's probably the only rack setup on the market I'd consider. It gets the tie-rod design and pivot locations right. I'm not sure if they've addressed the turn-radius issues typical of J-car rack installations.

Now, that said, what kind of 'continuing front end issues' do you have?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I checked them and Flaming River's set up out at the Grand National Roadster Show in Jan. Both have addressed the bump steer problem and both of them make there own racks, not one adapted from some GM car. That being said I have heard from some Mustang guys that both of them have problems with leaks. So I guess it's like buying a used car, you pay your money and take your chances.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I checked them and Flaming River's set up out at the Grand National Roadster Show in Jan. Both have addressed the bump steer problem
When you say Flaming River's "addressed the bump steer problem", you're saying that what they have pictured on their website is NOT the product they're selling? Because I can see no way, geometrically, what they have pictured on their website can get the bumpsteer down to properly small numbers through two or so inches of bump and droop.

It just is not possible.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Did the Unisteer on a 65 Mustang and it works great but for less money the Borgenson steering box is very good for the money. I have done both and will be using the Borgenson on future projects.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
One item that some people often overlook for the 60/61 cars is that there are very limited options of headers available for them and the type of steering you use will have an impact on header choice.
If you like the Mad Dog and Crites type that are routed under the crossmember then you can use the new Borgson box and it really works well. The only problem is you will be forced to keep the front of the car relatively high to keep the headers off the ground.
If you would like to lower the front of the car much then you will likely need to go with the FPA type headers and these will require a R&P set up.

Just something I have learned from doing several cars.

Scott...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys- I had a lot of trouble with the left upper control arm shaft bolts coming loose as well as the end caps loosening. The right side seems OK. I had been told that the bolts that secure the shaft were a one time use only but I have not seen any listed as replacements. Also, I have had a problem with a recurring clunk that happens when the brakes are applied when backing up. I suspect the coil springs are unseating momentarily but that's hard to pin down.

My main concern with going with an after market front end is that I am thinking a Mustang II set-up is not stout enough to handle this car.

Just for more information - the car has a 390 factory with cast iron headers and iron heads done by Pops Performance, roller cam and lifters, Edlebrock Performer RPM intake, C6, aluminum radiator recessed in to the radiator support, serpentine belt, discs in front with manual MC, and other assorted changes. I am not going for originality but trying to make the car run better and safer. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
It just never made since to me why some one would take a Galaxie and put some other suspension in the front. I even saw some one put a Camaro frame clip on one. You can go air bags, or different coils, R&P steering. Disc brakes. Why go to all that work to change to something that might be too lite to handle that 4000 lb. car. As for your upper control bolts coming loose. Do they have lock washers, torqued to specs? If so, no reason for them to come loose. As for the end caps, those are the bushings. Torque them to specs and put a little tack weld on them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.