Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 custom 62b and it has a 545 blown fuel injected motor and custom trans, I have a tds 6061 (' with 31"x 17.5 tires ladder bars coil overs has anyone tubbed one of these galaxies and if so can you provide some guidance

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 67 custom 62b and it has a 545 blown fuel injected motor and custom trans, I have a tds 6061 (' with 31"x 17.5 tires ladder bars coil overs has anyone tubbed one of these galaxies and if so can you provide some guidance
You're going to need to back-half the car for that size tire. Notching the frame won't get you there. Just bite the bullet and cut the whole frame off at the torque boxes and install a 2 x 4 back-half kit. If you've already got the 4 link, you're half way there!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased a Alston rear ladder bar frame clip or section 24" wide, I picked up two sheets of .040 4 x 10 sheet metal, I ordered two 34" wheel tubs I all ready have the rear coil overs and 32" ladder bars. and I picked up the extra roll bar tubing to go to the main hoop back to the rear rails I have new ladder bar brackets and new set of coil over brackets and I have the complete t6061 ford 9" I ever have a new rivet gun new air shears new nibbler and a laser tape I literally believe I have everything to this I am just edgy on cutting the whole back section of the flooring out clear back to the tail light panel I know once I start doing this I am burning bridges

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i started to do the back half on the custom 500, so I fired up the plasma cutter and went to work, it was relatively easy cutting it up and making all the required cuts from the paper work from Alston the kit could have been made out of thicker materiel but we will see how it goes I have the cross member tacked in place and I have the main rails cut and set into place, but they are however a bit short "custom fab to fit kit" so instead of going all the way to the tail light panel I am having to keep a small section of both right and left rear frame rails to install a crossmember on and weld the ladder bar frame rails to that, I have ot cut the rails out yet because I am trying to maintain some rigidity of the body, once I have the main crossmember and the rails done I will cut out the old rails, there will be more to come this is just where I ended up today.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okat day two,, I finished the install of the main frame section, how ever with this this kit from hiedts, the Alston AL-102113 the direction and blue prints have a couple errors I found so far, first in the description it says the rails on the inside should be 22 inches and the blue print shows 24 inches, all the cross members measure 24 so I called and they were surprised to see I was right, so we decided with the cross members being 24 to go with the 24 inches, second in the description again it says to measure 34 inches forward from the axle center line and the real face of the cross member with line up with that mark, okay did all that, then I came to the part where it is calling for the ladder bar brackets to be welded in at the rear face of the cross member to the outside of the rear rail, but I could not get them to fit snugly to the area so I broke out the measuring tape again and blue prints and on the blue prints it shows the cross member rear face at 32 inches so in order to get the ladder bar brackets to line up at 32 inches from the axle center line I had to move them 2 inches not a big deal but if I didn't catch it my axle would be 2 inches to far forward, also the " universal kit" does not fit the length of the rear part of a full size car, its about 10 inches short, so I cant weld it to the rear tail light panel, I will be leaving in about 2 feet of the trunk frame rails to install a cross member to connect the rear frame section to the panel, again not a big deal but more fab work and more welding, I haven't went and cleaned any welds yet or anything, I did burn up my last plasma cutter tips so I will be waiting on those to show before I cut the old rails out, I will try to keep as much as the rear outer fender wells as possible, just will depend on the wheel tubs, also I may half to get rid of my trunk hinges, and I will half to figure out what to do with the deck lid at that point, but below is some pictures for everyone to beat me up with lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looking good so far! I'm interested to see what you end up doing with the trunk lid and how you tie into your existing roll cage. Keep it up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts