Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
okay today we worked with getting the rear somewhat in the car, we have the ladder bars in, and the axle mounted but we are still needing to do the shocks, mounts, and a panhard bar set up, everything fits under the car, but we may half to trim the lower corners of the fender well openings, not to big a deal just need to trim about a inch from front and back, but rear axle is centered in the car with close to 3 1/2 side wall clearance on the inside and outside and on the out side the that inner fender lip is all ready trimmed out from the old tires we had on it, the panhard bar will take some figuring on what to do for brackets, so ill half to talk to summit, jegs, sw race cars, and heidts till next time be safe

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
okay today we attempted to try and either mount the panhard bar or the shocks and with tires that big a panhard bar isn't going to do the trick so I called a few places as I said before and they all highly recommend a "wishbone" so I ordered some brackets and the "wishbone" it is a competition engineering item 158.00 that attaches to the front side or top of the axle on each side and goes forward inward to a single tube with a sliding tube on the inside and mounts to the top of the cross member the only draw back I see is once its there its permanent so rear axle alignment on install is key and yes you half to weld it all together too and I bought 2 8 foot lengths of .134 wall 1 and 5/8 tubing to do some reinforcing and stiffening and while I am waiting for the brown Santa (ups) to bring me my presents I will see if there are some other things I can do in the mean time and I will follow up thanks tc be safe

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
today we finished tinning out the interior in the back, and fiber glassed the seams, it does still need painted and when I get that done ill up load a photo, the brown Santa (ups) dropped my presents off, we ordered a wishbone and some parts to try and do something for a panhard bar it is really the way to go, and we were able to get a bar on there it has a long 7 inch frame bracket, and the axle mount is a bolt on that comes off the rear axle about 10 inches clearing the shocks, and the right brake caliper not by much but it is clearing, and the bar should be straight at ride height everything is tacked in, and we did half to shorten the bar but its all in and looks like it should work out fine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
okay a couple of busy days, the rear axle is in and centered and aligned, how that is done is the old school nascar set up procedure (k,i,s,s) " keep it simple stupide" take 4 jack stands and place them one on each corner of the car, tie a string between the RF and RR and then LF and LR, and measure from the sting to the outside wall of the main frame in front and back adjust the string in and out till its even and you have the same measurement, now measure from the rear of the rim bead seat and from the front or forward face bead seat, if you have for example 1" on the rear and 2" on the front then the axle is turned to the left and you need to adjust your ladder bars, now side to side if on one side say the right you are 4" from the string and the left is 2" the axle is to the left and you need to adjust your panhard bar, and usually when you narrow a axle you will notice the drive shaft is a hair off to the right, this is normal because most vehicles have a offset drive line and now your axle is at 0 degrees, but the shaft is off 3 to 5 degrees and that will or should come back close to where you want it under throttle, the interior is tined and fiber glassed, and we painted it today with some black paint and did the roll bars, we decided to go with the black bullet hole steel wheels all the way around, and now all that is left is to reinstall the interior, run the fuel lines, trans lines, trans cooler, and some electrical, install the larger u-jount, and get it running again, then we get to take the body apart for paint, I am not going to put allot into the paint its a toy, there is a place here in Knoxville that can paint it for 800 bucks in a enamel and do a 3 year guaranty, fine with me, and that's where we are today, and as usual once I get more done getting it back together till we get to the final product ill add more and add pictures, thanks tc.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
okay we finaly have it on the ground and running again,:)
we reinstalled the summit racing seats, carpet, interior trim, we fiber glassed over all the sheet metal seams in the interior, and painted it gloss black, I was able to find all the brake lines and fittings at advance auto, we did run into a problem with the jegs brake kit, the hoses where the banjo bolt goes to the caliper on both side leaked and we had to change out the crush washers, and really tighten them down but they did stop leaking, we are using dot 4 fluid, and as for the rear axle we used royal purple 75/90 as recommended, and have no leaks anywhere we also adjusted the ride height, and clamped up and secured all the lines and electrical, tomorrow we plan to back it out and start cleaning our mess up, and I will get some video and post it up, we plan to get it to the body shop and get some paint on it in about a week, we are pulling most of the chrome off and will be blacking out the front and rear bumpers, the grill, and all the windows, and front/rear glass trim, headlight bezels, and tail light bezels, we just half to decide on a color, preferably straight forward color no candy or metal flakes if you have any suggestions with possibly a paint code let me know … more to come

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
good to know, I looked at the calipers, lines, and washers, and I didn't see anything wrong but, I did notice on the washers there are a few ring like patterns on the washers, and I had a older kit from a few years ago that has about 8 different sizes and thicknesses so I switched them out and tightened them down real good and the leak stopped.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
okay I did get a video but we did not back it out it was raining its [email protected]@ off out so we just did a little video for you tube but It wont upload here ill get it uploaded and then link it the next couple of week it should be a different color

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
okay today the car went to the body shop, we are removing all the body moldings, and badges, and the ford script, the only trim or molding will be what's around the windows, the bumpers grill head light bezels, and tail light bezels, will be gloss black, the car will be painted a metallic grey charcoal enamel, close to the color of the john wick 69 Mach 1 with a clear coat, the place that's painting is believe it or not is econo paint, kind of like the old earl schieb, or macco, this months special 269.00 lol, but I did opt for the correct body work the correct prep wok so no spray and pray, I'm not that nuts but maybe a little we all are lol, that drove the price up another 14 hundred, now the paint it has a purplish plumb color glow in direct sunlight with metal flake so I am patiently waiting to see how this is going to go cant wait to see the results, my other issue is I left a running, blown, pro street, tubed out beast, that runs with them now that's nuts, but to there point it would be almost impossible to push and turn that beast around in there small lot with the huge tires, I swear its no bigger than a dolor store lot lol, but as you all know we are very in deep with this car so it will be looked at closely at pick up, car should be done in about a week and a half is what I am told, so now we wait, ill post a pic of it at the body shop here in a few..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
okay back from the body shop overall I score it a 7 has some imperfections and tiny goof ups lol but over all not to bad for a 1300 dolor paint and body work job it does look a 100 percent better and hats all that really matters its going to get leaned on finger poke and kid dragging there sticky fingers on it at ca shows and stuff but there is body dust EVERYWHERE it is going to be a night mare to get that crap out of there and all the aluminum and chrome I now half to polish arrrrg but the bumpers still need to go back on and I will get better picks of it when the sun comes out one day in the future but at any rate here it is ,,

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
okay all done for now we put it all back together it has the bumpers and the grill in here is the final pictures feel free to comment or ask questions on anything thx be safe and good luck...…..

Attachments

21 - 36 of 36 Posts