Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have figured the leak that i have been battling for the past couple weeks. it is not coming from my main seal. i looked at my passenger rear part of the head and the intake manifold. i see a seeping leak coming from the corner of either the head or the intake manifold. i replaced the intake manifold gasket a few weeks ago because i had the same leak dripping down onto my starter and past that making it look like the main seal. i did notice when the engine is off i put oil in and it leaks from the same area when the oil is not hot . do you guys have any clue if it is the head gasket leaking from the corner. thanks guys

·
Registered
1 Posts
I seriously doubt it. Retorque head bolts to be certain. Intake manifold is suspect here. No new news, they are fairly notorius for leaking. Even after replacing with new gaskets. RTV and Right Stuff are bad news if they setup too much or not enough. Straight silicone works best (blue).
The cork ends are definatly NOT the way too go either. The meeting junction will leak. Mine never leak, so I do not know of a first hand band- aid solution. I have heard of folk using a cleaner like carb cleaner or laquer thinner and then mushing more silicone on the leading edge with moderate sucess. Personally I would redo the manifold gaskets again using the forementioned and be liberal with it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: brotherdon on 7/21/06 6:45am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: brotherdon on 7/21/06 6:46am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I was told to run a healthy bead of RTV and let it just start to set up ( where when you touch it doesn't stick to your finger.) and put the intake on. And tourqe away.
I had mine off twice before I did it that way. No more leaks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was told at a mechanics shop they have had the same problem. they said take ultra grey and run a bead down the side they said it should work to fill the small area that was causing the leak. if it does not work i will pull the intake again

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
I've had mine off twice and still leaking but next time I'm doing the same thing you did jet. It's leaking the same place and running down by the starter. I removed it before cause it was leaking in the front. At least in front I could tell more of how much was leaking etc.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well guys the ultra grey worked i was shocked but it works great no need to pull the intake off again thank goodness

1 - 7 of 7 Posts