Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Im the new guy! I have been reading some threads on this forum for some time now but never actually registered. But now the time has come for me to post my first thread myself. The thing is, me, my brother and our father imported a 70 mustang mach 1 last year from california with the intention to build an historic racecar. Now that we have started to work on the car we get the feeling that it maybe allready have been a racecar or a trackday car / dirt track car. There is bumps in the floor on both sides just in front of the seats which we think may be caused by a jack or that the mufflers have been there and they have done that to get more clearance. The front and back have been "rubbed", typical close racing damage. nothing on the sides thou. In the rear wheel wells there are indications that they have run wide tires. the lip of the sheet metal going down on the inside have been bent in. The roof have some minor buckles. suggesting the maybe have celebrate on the roof after a win? o and one more thing that makes us thinking its a dirt track car is that there was like 2 tons of dirt/sand in the car...

Now this car has a really special paint scheme as you can see in the pictures, so I am looking for further information/history on this actual car if anyone have any. Have you seen this car on track? Do you know anybody who might have seen it and know something about it? Maybe you have an old photo or know someone who has? All info is welcome!

Note: This car is imported from california, the seller told us it had been there ever since new but we dont know. Judging by all the sand in there we think it might be an old dirt track car from california. The car also had california plates and a small USAF sticker on the front bumber.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Welcome to the Forums.

I need to see photo's of the Bumps in the floor that you are speaking of in order to give an opinion on that part.

I've never seen the car. The paint is different, definitely easy to remember, I'll show it to Chuck and see what he thinks, he is a dirt guy.

I think the car was simply abused, but more pictures will help. It makes no sense to put mufflers on a racing car, and it makes even LESS sense to put them under the floor pans in the front....

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Looks like a great start.... Keep us posted on the progress...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the Forums.

I need to see photo's of the Bumps in the floor that you are speaking of in order to give an opinion on that part.

I've never seen the car. The paint is different, definitely easy to remember, I'll show it to Chuck and see what he thinks, he is a dirt guy.

I think the car was simply abused, but more pictures will help. It makes no sense to put mufflers on a racing car, and it makes even LESS sense to put them under the floor pans in the front....
The car is stripped down to nothing right now. I can post some more pictures when i get back. we also thought it was a bit wierd. Maybe its more likely its caused by a jack. Thanks for listening around!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
From my dirt track days that car is not nearly rough enough to have seen dirt track time.... Full of sand could mean anything really, stored next to a beach area, running up and down a river bottom road etc.... The paint job is def something from the mid-late '70's styling. Vans of the era sported all sorts of "panel" paint jobs, and was in style at the time. The dents in floor was probably just poor jack placement during tire changes/maintenance....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here´s the best pic on the fron floor panels that I have right now. You can see the floor is bent up just to the left of the two boxes standing in the drivers side. same on the passenger side floor.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Yeah, sorry man that is simply some ignorant troutturd that knows not where to place the Jack...

Under the floor you see rails, they are Floor Support Rails not frame rails, they are simply sheet metal. They should NOT be used as jacking stations that far back

The Dirt is very simple to explain.

California high desert. That accumulation is from years of driving on dirt roads and in areas of high dust and sand, we get cars like that all the time in Utah when I was working on them as a youth. Even cars that rarely see a dirt road get a LOT of dirt in the frames and behind panels due to the atmosphere in the summer and late fall.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Maybe an old bankrobber car =)
I would think it would be a tad to flashy for that line of work, and wouldnt think of it as a moonshiner rig either... ;) With the unusual paint if you could figure its origin in its early life and ask some of the older body shops from that area, may also shed some light....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The car will get the rollcage made sometime next week if everything goes as planned. at the moment we are planning all the changes like fender flaring etc.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
What are the actual plans for the car, with the type of mods you are doing? Back to answering some of your concerns from your first post, the wide tire thing was very popular here in the late 70s thru the 80s. see a car nowdays with big meats hanging out from under the fenders and the normal statement (around here that is) is something along the lines of "sure has that 80's thing going on". the dents in the roof are probably NOT form dances on the roof, those cars were bad about putting wrinkles there due to body flex from hard launches, mine has the same dents and there has been no one on the roof of it.. The cage will keep that from happening again, or sub frame connectors will also. Its a good bet it has seen some street racing in its life maybe some drag strip time also, and as i said the paint job was just one of the styles/fads of the day...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We are building it according to the FIA Appendix K rules. Its basically like the trans am rules. I cant tell you much more at this time but it will look something like this (not the same color though) :D

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
We are building it according to the FIA Appendix K rules. Its basically like the trans am rules. I cant tell you much more at this time but it will look something like this (not the same color though) :D

That'll work :) And back in the day those colored Mustangs were highly feared... :bow:

Check your Pm's also...;)

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I wouldn't try to read anything in buying a 50 year old car, even though we all do. As far as being special who knows, as far as being feared, not on the east coast in the sixties.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
I wouldn't try to read anything in buying a 50 year old car, even though we all do. As far as being special who knows, as far as being feared, not on the east coast in the sixties.
not in the sixty's but maybe in early seventy's...:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts