Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The motor was rebuilt as was the distributor. The dist by a guy with 60 yrs experience working on Fords...I have the motor on TDC, when I put the rotor at #1 cylinder and drop it down. I cant get it to go all the way down. I used an oil primer and the pump is working fine. I can see the top of the shaft when looking down the distibuter hole. When It would not go in, I turned the dist. slightly in both directions. no help. I used the oil pump primer to turn the shaft, about 8 times, no help. I even turned the crank by hand and it still won't go in.....Any Ideas?????

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Make sure the oil pump driveshaft is perfectly centered in the hole. The priming tool may be able to grab it off center, but the distributor will just get hung up on it. If it is off center, it has most likely pulled out some, and you'll have to either use a socket and extension to work it back into place, or pull the pump back off.

-Brian

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is slightly off to the left, but it is loose/flexible when I use the oil primer to move it, (shaft with a socket welded on the end) I hate to pull the pan at this stage...any other ideas???

·
Registered
41 Posts
66restomod is right, the oil pump shaft must be aligned/centered in the hole. Ford used a goofy spacer that was slid over the oil pump shaft to keep it centered in the hole. This allowed the dist. to slip in easier, another factory gizmo. It was made out of thin stamped sheet metal, looked sort of like a upside down crown. But unless some other problem exist like a wrong part, you have to be patient.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
hA! If it was centered, it would pop right in. Mine always hangs a little to the left (I know what your thinking Kent
). Just be patent, and it will go in. I have heard if you bump the starter it will go in. Never tried that though. Maybe take the primer and turn the shaft a little to get it to line up. Lots of cussing helps too

·
Registered
107 Posts
I tried to replace a rebuilt stock type distributor on my '71 302. No matter what I did, I couldnt get it to drop completely. For some reason I decided to bump the starter. It dropped perfectly into place. I had the rotor positioned wrong, so I had to pull the dist again and bump the starter to get it to drop. It worked just fine as long as I bumped the starter. Try it. I was so frustrated at the time, I didn't try to figure out why it worked. I was just glad it did.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, your personal experiences make me feel much better. I have the timing mark at TC. #1 cylinder is right at 1 o'clock if you are facing the engine from the front. EXACTLY how do I position the rotor when lowering it in? I have been putting it at slightly before (12 o'clock) since I believe it will ride down to the right slightly when it falls in. Am I on track here???

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
The stamped steel piece thats on the oil pump drive shaft is not for centering its to keep it from falling out when you put it togethere. They put a long point on the shaft and a big chamfer in the drive hole for alignment. Make sure you got the right distributor back if your having that much trouble you mite be trying to put a 351 in a 302 and it will never fit they look the same.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure its the right one. A guy with 60 years experience with fords rebuilt it..not a business and the numbers are the same...
I'll try again today... if I try to bump the starter or turn the crank to get it to go.. how far do I turn it??maybe I've been turning it too far??

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I have the same problem with my motor,it has an aftermarket oil pump drive and it sits off center when I pull out the distributor.Since I pull the distributor every spring when I get it out of storage and prime the oil pump I've done this a lot.Just get it down in as far as you can and bump the starter,as long as the gears are engaged the distributor won't go out of time while its turning.If you have one of those remote starter things you can hook up under the hood it helps a lot so you can hold the distributor housing and apply a little downward pressure while bumping the starter.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ahhhhh, one of the greatest mysteries of Fords.......how to get the distributor back in.

Forget about the oil pump shaft being off center in the bore. It being off center is not your problem and is totally irrelevant. You have to either line up the hex perfectly to get it right the first time or turn the crank to line up the hex shaft and distibutor.

Put the distributor in, put a socket and a ratchet on the crank bolt. Hold SLIGHT pressure down on the distributor, and ease the crank over with the ratchet. Distributor should drop right in. If it absolutely will not, then you either have the wrong distributor, or the wrong oil pump shaft (unlikely).

·
Registered
442 Posts
One other thing to check is if the oil pump shaft isnt in upside down. Is the end of the oil pump shaft you see pointed goes fron 1/4" 6pt to rounded pin? if it is not like this you might have problems getting it in. if this isnt the problem, I would suggest getting your hands on another dist and giving it a shot. or even taking your dist to pep boys or where ever for the old double check. also take a good look at your cam gear. good luck chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had this happen before. One trick I tried was to pack some grease down in the hole and around the shaft, then center the shaft and it will stay exactly centered, then slip it in. Should work, give it a try.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok- you not going to believe this one...
I put paint on the rim of the lower mating surface, gear and bottom where the oil pump shaft goes in. The rubbing was coming from both the lower section and the bottom was too big for the hole. I measured the hole by gringing down a srewdriver socket to the same size as the shaft. put it down and it would not fit! kept grinding it till it fit... had to take .005 off the shaft by getting a belt sander belt, cutting a small strip and shimmying the sides all around to get the desired girth. Once I had that. pout the motor on tcd, pointed the rotor to jest to the left of #1 and it dropped right in. perfect fit....Now.... this has to be a new one for everyone!!!
but Now I've got a new problem... see new post

1 - 14 of 14 Posts