Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've just put my rebuilt 460 back in my galaxie and now i can't get it to run. i've checked and i have spark at the plugs. i've pulled several plugs, and they have been getting gas. i have also pulled #1 and verified that when on TDC the rotor is pointing to #1 on cap. Can anyone tell me what i am missing?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Do you have the plug wires on in the proper direction(should be counterclockwise).The proper wires on the proper cylinders? (1-4 on passengers side 5-8 on driver's side)Is the gas fresh?Is the engine doing anything at all?Any backfiring,or signs of life?You might also want to pull a valve cover and roll the engine over a couple of times while watching the timing marks on the damper and the valves moving to make sure timing chain was installed correctly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 4/1/06 10:33pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Usually the No.1 problem starting a new engine is timing issues. When I was first starting my new 408 I was sure I had the timing right. I checked and double checked, and I just kept playing with the distributor until finally it started. Then I had to go adjust the valves again, because they are usally to tight after a head rebuild.

·
Registered
460 Posts
You've probably alerady done this, but have you verified that when the rotor is pointing at #1 it's on the compression stroke and not exhaust stroke? Turn the engine by hand with your finger in #1 sparkplug hole until you feel compression escaping. Now stop at the TDC mark and check rotor position. If you have points, roll the engine about 1/8 turn backwards then bring up to about 10 deg. BTDC and set the distributor so that the points are just ready to open; any movement of the crank will move the points. If electronic (Duraspark) set the reluctor ("starwheel&quot
to point directly at the metal strip in the center of the pickup coil. Also, if the plugs are wet with gas dry them off. Dripping wet plugs won't fire.

·
Registered
352 Posts
if everything is correct, fuel spark timing etc then what always helps is hook up a huge battery to it.... i use one of my dads batterys from a UPS system that weighs about 20kgs and is nearly 3 ft long....that thing cranks the engine so fast its got no choice but to fire up!!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
try static timing it . roll the motor to tdc number one comp stroke. pull the number one plug , connect it to the plug wire and lay it on the header or sim area. turn the key to the on position . loosen the dist and turn it until the plug sparks hold it in the pos where the plug sparks and lock the dist down there . this will insure you have a good base timing to start with at close to 0 deg the engine will fire great at this point and you can adj the timing after it starts. this will also make sure you are not 180 deg out and give you a good base to start with . good luck and check everything before you start it

·
Registered
52 Posts
One thing you might want to check is if you didn't prime the lifters before adjusting the rockers they might have pumped up not allowing the valves to close. This happened on a buddies 350 Chevy.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
HAY LOMAN
Did you get it running??
I'm guessing you did as you haven't add any replys or question.
tim

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Most likely your distributor is 180 degrees off. As others said, you need to make sure #1 is at TDC on the compression stroke, not exhaust stroke, when you install the distributor with the pointer at #1.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.