Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what difference is their in head flow between 1966 289 heads and 1987 stock mustang heads. also can i get 1966 289 heads to flow like brand name ones as it's way more expensive to get e'brock or other brands over here compared to getting a great head job.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Not too much difference between the early 289 heads and the later 302 heads, EXCEPT the combustion chamber on the older heads is smaller (54-59cc) versus 59-64cc for the later years. The stock flow on both is pretty poor, the later 302 heads could be marginally worse if they have the thermactor bump in the exhaust port.

You could probably do many hours of work on a 289 head and get to similar flow of something like a World Windsor Jr, or maybe an Edelbrock head unported. But reality is to really get a stock iron head to flow as good as most of the aluminum out of the box stuff, you're talking a lot of hours of labor AND experience. I cant imagine someone, even in down under, willing to put in 30-40hrs of porting time for significantly less than the cost of a set of brand name heads.

Try perhaps locating a good used set of alum heads if budget is a concern. Otherwise, read out "port your stock heads" article and do em yourself!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Watch Ebay for a good set of NEW heads for cheap (if they'll ship down there to you). I picked up a set of Windsor Jr. Heads, Energizer roller rockers, head gaskets, and pushrods, all new, off Ebay for $650 plus shipping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.